Changing Domain Name Questions

Highlighted
4 0 0

I have had my shopify store up for a little over a year and recently purchased a new domain to help with google search ranking. I want to change my domain name on shopify to the new one and point the old domain at the new one until it expires. What I'm not sure of is once I do this, do all of my product listings and pages under the old domain point to the new one as well, or just the main .com home page? I want to ensure all of the old product links I've posted on Facebook, Instagram, etc won't be broken once I make the switch, so people can still find those products if looking at old posts. 

Are there any other issues that arise when changing domains? I know it affects SEO and ranking initially but a web advisor I spoke with said it won't have much of an effect on me as I'm not currently on any front pages and most of my sales come from my Facebook group members or people with a direct link to my site. Waiting to make the switch on my shopify store until I know how all it will affect me. Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
426 6 75

Hey!

I'm Aria, a Social Care guru at Shopify.

If you change your domain, I can confirm all of your product links would automatically change to the new domain as well. It's definitely a good idea to keep your old domain for as long as you can and redirect it to the new domain. This way, you won't miss traffic from old links that were posted on your Social Media or saved by your customers.

Another thing you can do is set up URL Redirects. This way, when you do retire your old domain, the dead links will still redirect to your new domain.

If you take these measures, you should be fine. It sounds like you're working on your SEO anyway which is a great long-term strategy.

Have you considered creating content for your website such as blog posts? This will also help with your SEO and it gives you something else that can help drive traffic to your site besides your products. Check out How to Start a Blog That You Can Grow Into a Business.

Does this help? Let me know how you get on.

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
4 0 0
Aria,
Thank you so much for the information! I've still got 3 years left on my
old domain so I will be keeping it on until then to redirect traffic and
that should give me plenty of time to get everyone transitioned to the
using the new domain.
I didn't know about the URL redirects so I appreciate that information. I
have considered doing blog posts but right now also work full-time so my
time is limited, although I didn't realize it would help with SEO and
traffic so I will try to make time for that. Thanks for your help!
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
426 6 75

I'm glad you found the information helpful. I'm happy to chat any time if you need more help with your store.

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes