Changing Domain Name and Store Name

Highlighted
2 0 1

I need guidance and am willing to pay a fair price to get advice around best practice and procedure asap. I already tried shopify support and contacted several experts... to no avail. Grateful if someone in this forum could guide me.

I currently have a shopify store at example "ABC.com"  (abc.myshopify.com) and am changing the domain name and store name to example "XYZ.com".

The existing store is very small, but does have a fair amount of SEO value.

The products will overlap, but new store assortment will be significantly expanded.

What is the best practice to follow when changing domain name and shopify store name?

a) Is it better to start a second new store on XYZ.com and run both in parallel for awhile? Then phase out the current store?

b) Or is it better to point to new domain and use redirects? If so, please explain.

Logistically, it is much easier to open a new store, but would be ashame to lose the current organic traffic (minimal, but there)

I can make the changes, but please help by outlining instructions and best practices so I can move forward asap.

Thanks in advance.
Gabe

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
57 0 7

Hey Vangie,

The only way to change your .myshopify.com URL is to create a new Shopify account. If you decide to do this, you will definitely want to take a look at our doc on Backups and Duplication.

Once an account has been created, it is tied to that .myshopify.com URL forever. For 99% of merchants, this isn't an issue though as they go on to Purchase a Custom Domain Name for $13/year to replace the .myshopify.com URL. With a custom domain name, you can have the URL be something like www.yourstore.com, and your site's visitors won't see the .myshopify.com URL.

My advice is to stick with the store you have now, and simply change the store name in your General Settings (Admin > Settings > General) and then purchase/setup your new custom domain name. You can also keep the old domain on file, and Set a New Primary Domain so that all continuing traffic to the old domain redirects to the new one! 

Hope this helps! :)

Stephen B.
Shopify Guru

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi Stephen,
Perhaps my communication was not as clear as it could have been, sorry.

We are in fact using a custom domain now and plan on using a custom domain in the new store.

Let's say my store's custom domain name is mybeautifulstore.com and my shopify url is mybeautifulstore.myshopify.com.

Let's say I want to change my store name and custom URL to the theuglieststoreever.com.

I now know that I can not change the shopify URL or re-direct the original shopify URL to an new shopify URL.

However, if I simply change the custom domain, the original shopify domain will remain. So mybeautifulstore.myshopify.com will remain, while the store is now at custom domain theuglieststorever.com.

What will happen to all of the existing search engine indexes and page links pointing to mybeautifulstore.com (mybeautifulstore.myshopify.com) if I change to custom domain to theuglieststoreever.com?

If for ex someone follows a product link indexed on google, will they instead be re-directed to that page on the new custom domain? Or will they get an error?

What will happen to all of that search engine indexed stuff pointing to my original custom domain?

And while I want to preserve the existing indexes and SEO value, I do not want keeping the original shopify URL to negatively affect the SEO performance for the store with the new custom domain in any way moving forward? 

Please help clarify. Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
57 0 7

Hey Vangie,

You can definitely keep the old domain on file, and set the new domain as the primary (with the redirection box checked below where you set the primary). This will make it so that all traffic coming from the old domain links directly to the new domain.

Yes, this includes all of the specific URL's for product/collections/blogs/etc.

For example:

If you had yourdomain1.com and then you set a new primary to be yourdomain2.com - then whenever customers try to visit yourdomain1.com/collections/shirts it would redirect them to yourdomain2.com/collections/shirts without any 404 errors/issues. 

As for your SEO rankings, you'll definitely want to update your Google Webmaster Tools account with your new sitemap (for the new domain) - and there will be some shuffling in the ranks, but it generally doesn't have any affects on SEO as long as you keep the old domain active as a forwarding URL (having the domain linked to your store, but not as the primary, and having the redirection checkbox checked under the primary domain drop-down menu). 

I hope this helps! :)

Stephen B.
Shopify Guru

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Stephen, I have a different but related case and I need some urgent help. 

I have a shopify with a domain www.dominio.com. Now I want my shop to work with a subdomain instead of the domain: shop.domain.com (all the structure is the same). And the domain www.dominio.com will go to another website in ahother hosting. How should I do it beeing SEO friendly?

I guess that if I change my primary domain to shop.domain.com then www.dominio.com will redirect also to shop.domain.com. I want that all pages redirect to the same root using shop.domain.com except www.dominio.com that has to go to the new website.

Please, can you help me?

Thank you very much

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 7

I signed up for a free account the other day not realizing that I would be stuck with what I thought was suppose to be a temporary placeholder for my future domain name.  If Shopify is not willing to change the html to make accomodations for their new customers, then they need make their customers aware that they will not be able to make changes to their shopifty domain after the free trial is over.  At least new shopifty customers will have a chance to put their business name there instead of xyz.

This is not only impractical but thoughtless and should be changed.  For one thing, a customer that was not aware of this discrepency and had put a lot of work into their site would have to actually CANCEL THEIR SHOPIFY ACCOUNT just to get rid of an unwanted shopify domain.  This needs to be looked into.  Even though it could cost Shopify a little money and trouble it should be done for their customers who are making them wealthy.

7 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Oh shoot! After reading a reply, I've now realized that my new store will always be linked to my test store. How can I change this? I've already registered a new domain which has nothing to do with the original test domain. It's like having boats.myshopify.com for a new store named candles.com

What do I do now? I've made the new domain primary but Shopify still has my account as the old one and there is absolutely no association between the 2. If I cancel the old one, plus the shopify billings, how do I transfer my new domain to the new account?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

What about exporting the site and making a new account and importing it?

How smooth and safe is this?    Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
I AGREE 100%!!!!
0 Likes
Tourist
57 0 2

Agree with you

A 1 second decrease in load speed can increase conversions by 1% – 7%. Get your store speed optimized
0 Likes