Changing Domain while keeping the same store

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi there, i'm a new member of this community, i bought this store around an year and a half ago but i didn't put my hands on it until this month, now i found out that the domain name of the website is expired and somebody bought it! Now they're listing it as a premium domain and they're selling for $600+, so i was thinking, if i just get a very similar domain and apply it in my store, replacing the old one as a primary domain will my online shop still gonna work or i'm gonna have to do it everything from scratch?

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Your shop will work just fine if you change the domain as long as you didnt hard-code any links in your content/code.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
503 42 67

Hey, @Belfordfinest!

Ash here from the Shopify team. Welcome to the Shopify Community! 

I'm sorry to hear about the circumstances around the domain you initially purchased. I definitely appreciate how that would be a frustrating experience. With that said, your solution for moving forward is perfect, and I'm happy to provide some more context on how this will play out!

When you purchase a new domain, once it is set up in full and connected to Shopify, customers will be able to use it to navigate to your website! Changing your domain doesn't require you to start from scratch, but you may need to do some re-branding if the old domain name is being used predominantly on your site.

Regarding your new domain, if you purchase the domain through Shopify, set up will be done automatically, and as soon as it's finished being configured, it should work to lead people to your site! For domains purchased through a third-party provider, depending on who the host is you may still be able to set it up automatically for Shopify, or it may require manual setup. Here is some more information on connecting a third-party domain to Shopify. That documentation goes over manual set up, as well as automatic set up for the domain hosts that allow for this. 

I hope this information is helpful to you in moving forward, and please feel free to reply back here if you have any further questions or need any assistance. 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes