Changing Product Names Creates Separate Inventory Items for the Same Product?

Don1138
Visitor
2 0 0

First of all, I'm really frustrated that there is no longer phone or chat support to reach Shopify directly.

Second of all, Hi, Shopify Community!

I need to change some product names/titles, but we have run into a problem in the past where changing products names/titles results in separate inventory counts for the same item (at least through Webgility/Quickbooks).

For example, we started out with model years on our widgets. We now realized that certain widgets will carry over from season to season and have decided to do away with model years. So, how do I go about changing "2020 Widget A" to "Widget A" without ending up with both names as separate items in Quickbooks?

Is there a way to avoid this? 

Thanks in advance!

Replies 2 (2)

Colin1
4 0 0

Hi Don,

My name is Colin and I am a Senior Product Manager at Webgility. I can definitely give you a solution to this issue.

Right now, it sounds like your item creation settings in Webgility are set to automatically create new items when they are detected on orders. It also sounds like you are using Item Name for matching items from Shopify to the products that get created in QuickBooks.

When you change an item name, it can't automatically update in Webgility, since you could change that name to anything, it needs to be told which item it should correspond with. There are two ways you can handle this.

One would be to change your item matching criteria so that you are using the SKU field instead of the item name. You can set your SKU's in the new products you create in Shopify to be the same SKU as the old product, but with a different name. This SKU can be used to match the product in Accounting instead of the name so that each time you create a new product with a new name, it still has the same SKU and Webgility will interpret it as the same item.

Alternatively, you can keep your item matching criteria to use the Product Name, but change your item creation settings to require mappings if the product doesn't automatically match. In this case, every time you add a product to Shopify, you'll be able to see it within Webgility as well, at which point you'll need to "map" it, or select it and select it's appropriate existing item in the accounting system. Once you save the mapping in Webgility, "2020 Widget A" will be associated with "Widget A" in the accounting system, and no new items will be created.

This should stop any additional unnecessary items from being processed in the future. If you need any help with this, feel free to chat into support within the Webgility app, or give us a call at (877) 753-5373 ext 3 to reach out support team directly.

Hope this helps!

--Colin

Don1138
Visitor
2 0 0

Thank you, Colin! I will share this with my team.