Changing credit card issue

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi there, first it is very frustrating that Shopify got rid of all the support chat options.

I am trying to change my credit card number for billing and it's not wanting to change it.

I've tried changing the existing and tried adding a new card. In both cases I get an error *we could not verify your cr dit card. Transaction declined.

This card is just a normal Mastercard. So how to I keep my shop open if the new card is not going to be accepted? 

Or how can I change my card.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1426 87 315

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Jer333

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble updating your credit card on file, and connecting with our support. For future reference, you can access our support options by going to our help centre here. You will need to enter your question and browse the possible answers. If none of the provided help links answer your question then you'll find a contact support option near the bottom of the page. From there you'll find the available support options which should include chats, emails, and Twitter; however, we also have 24/7 support on Facebook as well. You may find that you're having trouble logging in when trying to access the help centre. If that happens, please clear your cache/cookies and try again. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then trying Google Incognito mode should do the trick!

Here is a list of requirements for adding a credit card to Shopify:

• Must be a postpaid credit card (pre-paid cards are not supported)
  • If it is a co-branded credit/debit card, it must be cobranded with a credit card type that we accept (Visa, Mastercard, Amex)
  • Must be a Visa, Mastercard or Amex
  • Must be capable of accepting charges in USD
  • Must be capable of making online purchases
  • Must be capable of accepting recurring billing
  • Must have appropriate funds available
  • Must enter the billing address and details the same as what your bank has on file
  • Must not have a restriction on how much the bank will allow being processed at once

If you are using a Debit Visa/Mastercard then these types of cards may not work as most banks process debit transactions differently than credit transactions. Using a full credit card would be required in this case. We are given very limited information on why the card is declined so it will require reaching out to your bank so they can investigate why the card is rejecting Shopify from adding the card to the system. In the end, if the card can not be added then I'm afraid we can not bypass the error, so it would require using a different credit card, or using Paypal to continue paying for your monthly subscription. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0
Spoiler
Thank you Peter for your reply. Much appreciated, I think I can see now what could be the problem and will check with my bank if all these are supported.

Best regards

0 Likes