Changing default fulfillment method for orders.

Highlighted
4 0 0

I'm trying to change the default fulfillment method for orders. Support site says that this is done when setting up product but offers no info on "after a product is setup".   

I'm also noticing that total shipping weight is some arbitrary weight. Is there a place to default a different weight other than the product weight. temp.jpg

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
196 20 28

Hey, @skepticcash!

Ash here from the Shopify team. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

I'm happy to help out with your order fulfillment questions. You mention wanting to change the default fulfillment method for your orders. Do you mind elaborating on this point for me? I'd love to hear how you're currently fulfilling and shipping out orders once you receive them, and what an ideal set up looks like for you.

We have some great documentation in our Help Center here on fulfilling orders which you can review. Depending if you have any apps/integrations on your store, you may have varying options for order fulfillment. If you have a supplier you work with that you want to set up as a custom fulfillment service, then I suggest checking out this document here. This document goes over setting up a supplier as a custom fulfillment service, which can help you streamline the process of forwarding orders to them for fulfillment. 

In regards to your screenshot, it looks like that was taken from the order fulfillment page. The "Total Weight" seen there will be a combination of your packages weight and your products weight. In the example you shared, the package is set up to weigh 8lbs, so the product(s) in that order should weigh 19lbs. To check this products weight, and make adjustments if required, head into the product page in the admin and scroll down to the shipping section. In there you can see and adjust the products weight. We have a great document here that covers the different product details that can be added on Shopify. Also, here's a screenshot of this section on a test product in my own store: 

20-02-l4jjw-h3rgn.png

If the package needs adjustments made to the dimensions or weight, you can make those changes from your Settings> Shipping by clicking "Edit" on the package you want to adjust. Here is our Help Center document which covers editing packages. 

I hope this helps clear things up, and please reply back to this post if you have any further questions I can assist with. 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
4 0 0
Hi Ash!

Thank you so much!

On the first point...

After reading everything in your help center on fulfillment, it states that
during product setup that I'm asked if I want orders automatically or
manually fulfilled.

I must have put automatic.

Now I'd like to switch it so that when I open orders that they do not say
fulfilled because they haven't been.

So... I'm looking for how to change it from automatic to manual even though
the product is already created.

On to the 2nd thing. You resolved it. Thank you again.

Ben
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
196 20 28

My pleasure, @skepticcash! Always glad to lend a hand. 

For the first point, manual vs automatic fulfillment wouldn't be a per-product setting, but rather a setting applied to your account as a whole. If you head over to your Settings> Checkout, scroll down to the 'Order Processing' section to select if you want your paid orders to be fulfilled automatically, or still require you to manually mark the order as fulfilled. Here's a screenshot of that section: 

20-02-xeukk-3cxnm.png

For the second point - I'm so glad that is resolved! Let me know if everything regarding point one makes sense, and if you're able to find that option in your Checkout Settings. 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Ash, again, thank you!

Here is a screenshot of your help section that explains this process. You can see that it states each product you add - you can determine fulfillment method. 

It further states that there can be different fulfillment methods for each item on an order. 

temp.jpg

You can find that here: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/fulfillment/setting-up-fulfillment

0 Likes