Changing discount codes at checkout

Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
818 54 96

@Franbee23 wrote:

I am having the same problem. I just tried myself, to make a purchase on my website, because I have different codes for different purposes. But the automatic code seems to be the only available code at checkout. there is no option for delete this code (the X next to the code) when I do that. 

Hi, @Franbee23.

Welcome to the Shopify Community!

Automatic discounts take precedence over discount codes, so customers will not be able to apply a discount code if there's already and automatic discount active on the store. In this case, the automatic discount would need to be deactivated in order for customers to use manual codes instead. Please let me know if you have any questions about that.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Franbee23
2 0 0
So how can i change your the settings on it so it will not be automatic?
0 Likes
Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
818 54 96

@Franbee23 wrote:
So how can i change your the settings on it so it will not be automatic?

The automatic discount will need to be disabled in order for customers to enter a discount code at checkout. Under Discounts > Automatic discounts in the admin, you'll see a 'Disable' option right underneath the discount title. Here's an example of what that looks like with an automatic discount from my test store:

20-08-di0c2-0w5sw

If you still need to offer the promotion that was set up as an automatic discount, you can create a discount code for it instead. If you have any questions about how this will work for your store or how to communicate the promotions to customers, please feel free to share some details about the promotions you're offering here and I'd be happy to discuss it further with you.

0 Likes
EarthToLife
Excursionist
11 1 8

So today, I had an old lady on the phone wondering how she could change her checkout code (they were all discount-codes NOT auto-discounts) 
From a desktop - I tried everything with her...

Refresh the page... empty your cart.... try incognito mode and refill everything 

I told her there should be an X she can cross out the code and try again - there was not (maybe on mobile i read somewhere here prior)
But NOT on a (windows or an Apple) desktop (both using chrome ) 

It was a nightmare and a time waster and she felt like it was our fault 

Please address this or tell me what to inform the customer next time this happens
"Shopify please add an X to close ALL or ANY DISCOUNT CODES at checkout on all devices for the customers sake"

Kind Regards
ETL

0 Likes
Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
818 54 96

@EarthToLife wrote:

So today, I had an old lady on the phone wondering how she could change her checkout code (they were all discount-codes NOT auto-discounts) 
From a desktop - I tried everything with her...

Refresh the page... empty your cart.... try incognito mode and refill everything 

I told her there should be an X she can cross out the code and try again - there was not (maybe on mobile i read somewhere here prior)
But NOT on a (windows or an Apple) desktop (both using chrome ) 

It was a nightmare and a time waster and she felt like it was our fault 

Please address this or tell me what to inform the customer next time this happens
"Shopify please add an X to close ALL or ANY DISCOUNT CODES at checkout on all devices for the customers sake"

Kind Regards
ETL

Hi, @EarthToLife!

Thank you for sharing this experience here. It sounds like both you and the customer were understandably frustrated with this. I know how important it is for customers to have an intuitive experience with the online store checkout, and I'll ensure that our developers have received your feedback about the option to remove discount codes on mobile devices.

The desktop version of the online store checkout does have an 'x' beside the discount code (as noted in this reply). If you don't see this on your store, please let me know which theme you're using and share the store URL here so I can take a look.

In the event that the 'x' does appear but a customer is struggling to find it, you can send them a screenshot of what it should look like to help them out, or even better, you can create a draft order for them with the correct discount and ask them to check their email for the checkout link instead. I don't see many customers having this issue on desktop, but I hope that this is a helpful workaround in case it's ever needed again.

Was this particular customer eventually able to complete their checkout?

0 Likes

Why is the automatic BXGY discount enforced? 

I also hear customers complaints about the fact that they can't apply a more favorable discount code manually when an automatic discount code is active.

I'm a software engineer. I make things happen automatically.
0 Likes
JohanNiche4All
Tourist
5 0 1

Pls fix your discount problems Shopify. The customer experience i great for most part on shopify, but this is one of the worst possible functions to not have, stackable and/or overrideable discounts. Just fix it! This works smoothly on other plattforms as a standard feature. Like it should be. No app does a good job either on it because its becoming a very noticeable externat feature. Pls tell us when its fixed so I/we can make a decision to stay or leave shopify before it goes to far. We are loosing customers on our sites and it takes a lot of frustration och your customers and cutomers to your customers! Think about that. 

0 Likes
Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
818 54 96

@JohanNiche4All wrote:

Pls fix your discount problems Shopify. The customer experience i great for most part on shopify, but this is one of the worst possible functions to not have, stackable and/or overrideable discounts. Just fix it! This works smoothly on other plattforms as a standard feature. Like it should be. No app does a good job either on it because its becoming a very noticeable externat feature. Pls tell us when its fixed so I/we can make a decision to stay or leave shopify before it goes to far. We are loosing customers on our sites and it takes a lot of frustration och your customers and cutomers to your customers! Think about that. 

Hi, @JohanNiche4All.

I appreciate you expressing your concerns here. Can you tell me a bit more about the apps you've tried so far and the types of promotions you're creating that need to be stackable? I want to make sure our developers are considering your specific use cases.

While I can't provide an estimate for when stackable discounts or the ability to override a discount might be built-into the admin's Discount settings, all updates to the platform will be posted on Shopify's changelog.

0 Likes
JohanNiche4All
Tourist
5 0 1
Hi, its really easy actually. We always sell a three pack perfume with the
deal buy 2 get 1 free. A very good offer that makes the customers get the
high value threepack. This we of course have as an automated discount as it
will always be so.

Then we sometimes do discounts when we work with instagrammers, have loyal
customers etc. The way you are set up this never works.

We are only doing the three for two on 30ml bottles so only on a variant of
the product. We have used two different e-commerce stores earlier and both
of them were no problem and actually in the basic stores. It's a
really good way for us to convert customers.

Now we can't even do a discount on our get back to your cart emails
because the three pack is almost always there!

You really need to fix this, you have an amazing store for international
buyers, but this feature should really be there, it's ridiculous that it
isn't actually.

Have tried several apps, but for the feature they are crazy expensive and
look like they are not a part of the store. Seems unprofessional.

PLS, let some of the managers of marketing and sales strategy on Shopify
know that you don't have this simple feature, then it should be fixed
pretty fast......

If you give us the tools to convert customers, you will be rewarded in the
long term. This can be a deal breaker for us.....

Thank you so much for your support. Don't hesitate to call me or email me
if you need anything more.

With Love
Johan
CEO
@Niche4All
+46 793200185
0 Likes
Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
818 54 96

@JohanNiche4All wrote:
Hi, its really easy actually. We always sell a three pack perfume with the
deal buy 2 get 1 free. A very good offer that makes the customers get the
high value threepack. This we of course have as an automated discount as it
will always be so.

Then we sometimes do discounts when we work with instagrammers, have loyal
customers etc. The way you are set up this never works.

We are only doing the three for two on 30ml bottles so only on a variant of
the product. We have used two different e-commerce stores earlier and both
of them were no problem and actually in the basic stores. It's a
really good way for us to convert customers.

Now we can't even do a discount on our get back to your cart emails
because the three pack is almost always there!

You really need to fix this, you have an amazing store for international
buyers, but this feature should really be there, it's ridiculous that it
isn't actually.

Have tried several apps, but for the feature they are crazy expensive and
look like they are not a part of the store. Seems unprofessional.

PLS, let some of the managers of marketing and sales strategy on Shopify
know that you don't have this simple feature, then it should be fixed
pretty fast......

If you give us the tools to convert customers, you will be rewarded in the
long term. This can be a deal breaker for us.....

Thank you so much for your support. Don't hesitate to call me or email me
if you need anything more.

With Love
Johan
CEO
@Niche4All
+46 793200185

Thank you so much, Johan! I have submitted this use case to our developers for further consideration. 

Has the ongoing buy 2 get 1 free promotion always been an automatic discount? I understand that the ideal solution would be the option to replace the automatic discount with a discount code when needed, but I'm wondering if you might be able to turn the buy 2 get 1 free promotion into a discount code as a workaround rather than using third-party apps. Some stores will have a promotions page detailing current promotions and how to apply them, and that could be a good place for the ongoing promotion to live if it isn't being applied automatically. Would something like that potentially work for you and your customers for the time being?

0 Likes