Changing discount codes at checkout

Tref
2 0 2

Same issue here. 

We have an automated discount that allows customers to buy any 2 products and get 20% off their order. This a great and customers love it. 

However we also have bigger discount codes that have gone out as part of email marketing campaigns which cannot be used as the better code cannot override the automatic discount. 

Come on Shopify, this is a really easy fix to a massively frustrating issue. 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
826 54 97

@Tref wrote:

Same issue here. 

We have an automated discount that allows customers to buy any 2 products and get 20% off their order. This a great and customers love it. 

However we also have bigger discount codes that have gone out as part of email marketing campaigns which cannot be used as the better code cannot override the automatic discount. 

Come on Shopify, this is a really easy fix to a massively frustrating issue. 

Hey, @Tref!

Thanks for sharing your experience here. I'll make sure that our developers see this feedback.

Have you found a workaround for these customers in the meantime? Using an app like SELLY or Automatic Discounts & Gifts, or creating discount codes instead of automatic discounts for the time being should help. The third-party apps are paid alternatives, and some offer free trials so you can decide whether they'll work for you. Using discount codes is the built-in feature you've already used to create those bigger discounts (no additional cost, it just means that your customers have to manually input the discount code at checkout).

I understand that the ideal option for you and your customers would be the ability to override Shopify's automatic discounts, and I want to reassure you that our developers will be considering the use case you've shared here. Thanks again!

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
UnikArtwork
2 0 0

+1

This really should be a basic function, and we shouldn't have to rely on apps for this. I am really shocked that this is not already implemented after all these years.

Huge problem for product bundles.

0 Likes
Crocodilewear
2 0 2

Sophia,

Can you provide a reason as to why Shopify does not want to fix this issue? This is mind baffling that these many people are complaining for almost 2 years and Shopify does not want to add can't add the x to be able to manually remove the coupon. 

I'm using warehouse theme and it's not available on desktop or mobile. Very strange design choice.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
826 54 97

@Crocodilewear wrote:

Sophia,

Can you provide a reason as to why Shopify does not want to fix this issue? This is mind baffling that these many people are complaining for almost 2 years and Shopify does not want to add can't add the x to be able to manually remove the coupon. 

I'm using warehouse theme and it's not available on desktop or mobile. Very strange design choice.

Hi, @Crocodilewear.

The way that discounts are handled in the checkout is not theme-specific. To clarify, the x is available to remove discount codes, so customers can either click the x or type in a different code to replace the one they entered originally. It's only automatic discounts created in the admin that cannot be overwritten at this time. See the screenshots below for examples of what discount codes vs. automatic discounts look like at checkout on desktop.

Discount code (able to remove or overwrite)Discount code (able to remove or overwrite)

Automatic discount (cannot remove or overwrite)Automatic discount (cannot remove or overwrite)

It is never the case that Shopify does not want to address a feature request like this. Given that we can't guarantee when and if changes will be made or provide a timeline for updates that are in progress, I understand that it can feel as though your request is being ignored. But the fact is that your feedback and feature requests are always taken into serious consideration, particularly when specific use cases are provided so that our developers can get a better sense of your business needs.

Each piece of feedback and each specific use case in this thread has been reported—in as much detail as was provided—to our developers for consideration on future updates. Many factors weigh into deciding which features are built and when. The number of people requesting a change is certainly one of those factors, but there is much more to consider, especially for changes like this that would affect all stores. With hundreds of thousands of businesses relying on a secure and stable checkout, these changes can't be made lightly. 

I know the bottom line is that you're running a business and you know better than anyone what you and your customers need, so my assurance that our developers are always working to improve the platform is understandably not that valuable to you if you're not seeing the changes you've asked for. While I can't provide detail on the logistics of feature updates and releases, I can submit feedback on your behalf and discuss potential solutions and workarounds with you in the meantime.

If you've not yet had a chance to share your use case with our team for removing automatic discounts at checkout, please feel free to provide some information on the promotion(s) you're offering here. Some other merchants in this thread have explained why customers might need to remove the automatic discount for specific promotions, and I know that feedback will be valuable in our developers' decision making process.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tref
2 0 2

I have spend a couple of days now looking at various apps for this. Every solutions is a complete disconnect from the store. It just looks and feels terrible. 

We run a site-wide promotion quite often - and whenever we do so,  customers who have a more favourable discount code cannot apply it and send us angry emails. We run a tech company, so I understand how easy this is to fix. It's simply a matter of allowing customers to remove the automated discount at checkout and replace it. I could code this fix in 10 minutes. Baffling as to why Shopify won't address it. 

UnikArtwork
2 0 0

Totally agree. We've had to resort to creating a discount code for site-wide discount instead of using an automatic discount and hope that the customer will notice the tiny text in the announcement banner.

Haven't found any reasonable workaround for product bundles yet, which also counts as an automatic discount. Please fix! If Shopify is concerned about effects on existing stores, then make it an opt-in feature.

0 Likes
Crocodilewear
2 0 2

Thank you Sophia for taking the time to respond and also clarifying the difference between the automatic code and the manual code. I'm sure someone reading this may benefit from it. I was strictly talking about removing the automatic code. It's the automatic code that is creating such a huge problem for everyone, not the manual one.

This came up today yet again! One of our customers was trying to claim a reward from smile.io (rewards program app) and they weren't able to enter their unique code that was generated for their reward due to the automatic discount. There are countless examples as to why there should be an OPTION that allows a store to either force automatic discounts or allow users to [x] them out. Just one checkbox that says "Allow customers to remove automatic discounts [x]" That would literally solve everything. I think Shopify deciding that every store needs automatic discounts forced without any option for the customer to remove it is a poor design choice because as you mentioned every business is different. Maybe some stores would prefer forced codes while others would not. The point is giving the users an option to choose what's best for their store and not deciding for them.

I understand that when a new feature is implemented there needs to be rigorous tests as it could affect thousands of stores but it's been 2 years and this looks like Shopify won't budge. The only logical conclusion I can think of is that adding this feature may kill many apps and Shopify does not want to do that. As others have mentioned, it's incredibly simple to code an option to allow users to either force auto discounts or not.

Where can I file a formal request for this feature? I'm not expecting it to be implemented but I just want to do my part. 

Thanks again.