Changing name on Store - possible glitches

Solved
Tourist
8 0 0

Hi,

We originally set up store (and shopify account) with NAME-1.

We have purchased a new name, NAME-2, and would like all shopify references and tags to our shopify store to be NAME-2. We believe we have correctly repaired all issues with text and admin, although when we log in to shopify we still have the http: https://Name-1.myshopify.com/admin.

Can this be repaired or will this effect new store NAME-2?

Thank you!

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Expert
340 24 62

The myshopify url is permanent, I believe, but if you map a custom domain to it (www.name-2.com), then the outside perception is all name-2. The only people that will see name-1 are your team when logging in the admin, and apps/partners you interact with.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Creator of Order Automator (app that auto fulfills orders, adds tags, emails).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
I also build custom apps and automated solutions.
Enjoy the adventure!
1 Like

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 10 11

Hi, @Ontop2020

I’m Helen from Shopify Support. Thanks for your question.

Once a .myshopify.com domain is created, it is permanently connected to that account. This URL acts as a unique identifier for your specific account on our backend and cannot be changed or adjusted.

However, purchasing a custom domain for your new store name is a workaround for this. When your custom domain is connected and set as the primary domain, the .myshopify.com URL will no longer be visible externally; Only you can see it when you are logged into your Shopify admin.

I see how the ability to change your .myshopify.com URL would be advantageous when switching store names or niches, so I am going to let our developers know that I have received this feedback from you. Thank you for that.

It sounds like you have updated the store name everywhere else on your account already, which is great! Take a look at our help doc here about business settings in case there is anywhere else you would like to make updates.

Is it just the name of your store that you are updating, or are you rebranding as well?

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Tourist
8 0 0

Great!

Thank you very much Helen!

Really appreciate the help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 0

Perfect.