Changing name on Store - possible glitches

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 0

Hi,

We originally set up store (and shopify account) with NAME-1.

We have purchased a new name, NAME-2, and would like all shopify references and tags to our shopify store to be NAME-2. We believe we have correctly repaired all issues with text and admin, although when we log in to shopify we still have the http: https://Name-1.myshopify.com/admin.

Can this be repaired or will this effect new store NAME-2?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Expert
663 47 144

The myshopify url is permanent, I believe, but if you map a custom domain to it (www.name-2.com), then the outside perception is all name-2. The only people that will see name-1 are your team when logging in the admin, and apps/partners you interact with.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app).
Creator of Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, send emails).
Creator of Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
My team also builds custom apps and automated solutions.
Enjoy the adventure!
1 Like
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
338 43 54

Hi, @Ontop2020

I’m Helen from Shopify Support. Thanks for your question.

Once a .myshopify.com domain is created, it is permanently connected to that account. This URL acts as a unique identifier for your specific account on our backend and cannot be changed or adjusted.

However, purchasing a custom domain for your new store name is a workaround for this. When your custom domain is connected and set as the primary domain, the .myshopify.com URL will no longer be visible externally; Only you can see it when you are logged into your Shopify admin.

I see how the ability to change your .myshopify.com URL would be advantageous when switching store names or niches, so I am going to let our developers know that I have received this feedback from you. Thank you for that.

It sounds like you have updated the store name everywhere else on your account already, which is great! Take a look at our help doc here about business settings in case there is anywhere else you would like to make updates.

Is it just the name of your store that you are updating, or are you rebranding as well?

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 0

Great!

Thank you very much Helen!

Really appreciate the help.

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 0

Perfect.

Thank you Joe.

Appreciate the help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Helen,

This seems very confusing to me.  I am JUST getting started and I used the wrong URL to register my Shopify store.  Would it be OK if I just canceled this first account and went in and setup a new account using the proper URL.  I am still in the 14 day trail.  Don't really care if I lose a few free days.  I want this to be as simple as possible.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
338 43 54

Hi, @LarsR

Yes, of course! If the store name that you used to set up your account is not what you would like to use for your .myshopify.com URL, then you can close your account, and open a new account with the URL you would prefer. Upon opening a new account, you will also get a fresh 14-day free trial! Please follow these steps to properly close your store. 

I hope this makes sense. Please don’t hesitate to reach out again if you need further clarification, or have other questions. I’m here to help.

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

My problem is that I forgot to add a letter in my original Shopify name... and now even though I bought a custom domain, my Social Sharing Image still shows the misspelling instead of the custom domain URL.  I'm guessing there's no way to fix this.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I also wanted to change my store name. As this is not possible, I would like to suggest a feature of duplicating a store because I don't want to lose the hours of work I have put in during the free trial. If I can't change the name, duplicating the content and using it under the preferred name would be helpful.

0 Likes