I'm considering altering the niche of my Shopify store while preserving existing work.

ablackcatman
Tourist
15 0 2

Hi! Im thinking to completely change the niche of my shop, but i would like to keep all the put in work like customizing the layout, plugin configurations etc. What are my options? I know i can save the theme and then import, but this will need time to set up other stuff.

Can i just change the domain name, and clear all products and customers? What would be the best way to change a niche?

Replies 5 (5)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hello, @ablackcatman

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

This is a great question. Yes, you can switch the niche of your store by changing to a different custom domain and delete your existing products and customers. This will allow you to keep your current theme customizations and plugins. Then, simply set the new domain as your primary domain so customers visiting your website will see the new domain. You can also change your legal business name or address and customer-facing email under ‘Settings > General’. 

Is there a specific reason you're looking to changes the niche? 

If you have any further questions regarding this topic, feel free to reply to this thread and I’d be happy to help.

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Sanda
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, I wanna change the niche too, I need to do this by my self or I get help from shopify? Thanks 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hi, @Sanda.

Thank you for joining the thread!

If you're only changing products (niche), then this is something that you can do on your own. However, if you're also changing things, such as your Shopify URL or the store's default currency, then there are different processes that you would need to follow. 

For example, if you want to change the Shopify URL for your store, then you would need to consider creating a new Shopify account. On the other hand, you can also consider purchasing a custom domain and using that instead. Using a custom domain is a common way for merchants to change their store URL without needing to create a new account.

If you're looking to change the store currency, then you can do this on your own if you haven't processed any orders yet. However, if you've already made your first sale, then you would need to contact our live support team in order to make changes to the store's default currency. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, our live support team would be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Simply visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

I noticed that you're a new member of our Shopify Community! Once you've had a chance to review my response, I'd love to hear more about your business. Which type of product niche are you looking to change to? Do you have a marketing plan prepared for your store?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 

Ariel6
Visitor
1 0 0

Do i need to buy a whole different Domain to change my Niche? Or can i keep using the one i have?

Maz
Shopify Staff
1161 129 178

Hey, @Ariel6!

Thanks for joining the discussion!

You can keep using the same Shopify domain even if you decide to change your niche. You can update your store's branding, products and content to align with your new niche without needing to add a new domain - unless you want to.

Furthermore, you might find this blog, 'How To Find Your Niche in 6 Steps (2024)' here at this link helpful when switching up your niche!

Any questions, let us know!

Maz | Social Care @ Shopify