Changing the Social Sharing Image - Debut Theme

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
45 0 8

Hi

How do I change the thumbnail image for my shop (not product sharing) when I share a link on Social Media?

The instructions found in the below do not work

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/using-themes/change-the-layout/theme-settings/showing-social-medi...

The Bold theme doesn't appear to have the Social Sharing Image part as described

Annotation 2020-01-11 200910.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
407 35 86

Hi, @Gareth_Doherty1!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

When it comes to choosing a social media image for when your store link is shared on channels like Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest, how this is done is largely determined by the theme you're using. For example, some themes offer this functionality directly within the Theme Editor, which could typically be found in the same place shown in the screenshot you've shared. Other themes will require you to implement this using custom code. 

You mentioned you're using the "Bold" theme, but I'm unable to track down a theme with this name in our Shopify Theme Store. Are you able to pass along a link to where you installed the theme from?

Since it sounds like this is a third-party theme, I recommend referring to the developer's documentation, as they may have instructions on how to achieve this. If the theme was installed from the Shopify Theme Store, you'll notice a section for Documentation directly on the theme page, right beside an option for Support. This should lead you to the Help Center for the theme in question, where you can browse help docs in search of an answer from the developers. Alternatively, if you select Support, you'll be able to reach out to the developers directly for assistance. 

If you aren't comfortable with custom code, or if you are having difficulties implementing this, then I would recommend using an app like SEO Product Optimizer, which will give you the ability to choose a social media sharing image without requiring any custom code. This app has great reviews and sounds like it may in fact be an option worth considering.

Nonetheless, I'm curious to know exactly which theme you're using, as the developers may have instructions on using this. If you can provide me with a link to where you installed the theme from, I'd be happy to take a look here on my end!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
45 0 8

Hi @Julie 

Sorry I didn't realise this post was responded to.

I don't know why but I keep calling it the Bold theme when its actually the free Debut Theme :)

(probably because I was using the BOLD apps)

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
407 35 86

Thanks for clarifying, @Gareth_Doherty1.

The process for adding a social sharing link in the Debut theme is the same process outlined in the help doc that you had referred to. If you aren't seeing this option in your Theme Settings (it should be right above the Social Sharing Options section shown in the screenshot you shared), then it sounds like you could be using an old version of Debut. 

Which version of Debut are you using? You can find out by heading to Online store > Themes > Customize > Theme settings, where you'll see your theme's version towards the bottom of the lefthand sidebar. The current version of Debut is v16.5.2. If this isn't the version that you're using, then you'll just need to update your theme

Let me know how that goes!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
45 0 8

@Julie wrote:

Thanks for clarifying, @Gareth_Doherty1.

The process for adding a social sharing link in the Debut theme is the same process outlined in the help doc that you had referred to. If you aren't seeing this option in your Theme Settings (it should be right above the Social Sharing Options section shown in the screenshot you shared), then it sounds like you could be using an old version of Debut. 

Which version of Debut are you using? You can find out by heading to Online store > Themes > Customize > Theme settings, where you'll see your theme's version towards the bottom of the lefthand sidebar. The current version of Debut is v16.5.2. If this isn't the version that you're using, then you'll just need to update your theme

Let me know how that goes!

Hi @Julie 

Yeah I am using an old version, but i have made quite a few changes to it over the years that I am worried about updating because it will wipe out the changes, and unfortunately I did do anything to keep track of what I changed :(

We are now looking at a new 'paid' theme so this probably won't be an issue anymore. Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
407 35 86

Thanks for following up, @Gareth_Doherty1.

You're correct in that updating your theme will remove any custom code edits you've made. Once you update your theme, you will also need to uninstall any apps that have added code to your theme and re-install them from the Shopify App Store after the update. I understand that this can be a difficult process if you have made quite a few customizations, so for that reason, I always recommend creating a backup version of your theme. This way, you can refer to your previous theme's code while working on your updated theme. 

That said, if you are looking into a paid theme from the Shopify Theme Store as an alternative, there is a good chance that the social sharing image can be uploaded directly within the Theme Editor. All of our paid themes offer free trials, so it's definitely worth previewing the theme before you decide to purchase one! What has you interested in a new theme, and which theme are you considering? 

0 Likes