Charge for Expedited Order Processing

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Folks,

We sell items on our site that our company manufactures.  It takes a few hours to make the items, so depending on how many orders we have in the queue, it may take a few days for us to get to a person's order.  Our customers are telling us that they would be willing to pay extra to get their order expedited.  The hard part, is that the charge would need to be per ORDER, not per ITEM.  So my question is, what's the best way to accomplish an up-charge for expedited order processing, on a per-Order, not per-Item base?  I'd need three different order processing methods/charges:  Standard (+0$ per order, normal current speed, FIFO), Expedited (get your item within three days or order placement +X$ per order), Express (get your order by next day, +Y$ per order).

Thanks a bunch in Advance!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
714 54 160

Couple ideas:

1) You could add additional shipping methods.

2) Add custom code to your site (before checkout, maybe cart page or product page).

3) An alternative to #2 is use the app Tip Jar. This handles #2 for you by putting a customizable widget anywhere in your theme where customer can select an amount and add to cart (in your case, you can edit the wording on the button to say "Expedited service".
- My team built this app, so if you go this route and need help just give a shout.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app).
Creator of Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, send emails).
Creator of Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
My team also builds custom apps and automated solutions.
Enjoy the adventure!
1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Joe,

We'll be doing calculated shipping method using the built-in, real-time shipping calculations (USPS/UPS).  Does that exclude option #1 as a viable alternative to still accomplish what we want to do?

Also, do you have a Video or something demoing TipJar?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

I just checked out the app (TipJar).  Three questions:

1. Does the Qty have to be visible for it?

TipJar - Qty.PNG

2. Can I put more than one on the screen?  One for each shipping type that I'll be needing

3.  If #2 isn't possible, does the drop-down have to contain the amount only, or could it say something like: $1 - Fast shipping, $2 - Really Fast shipping

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
714 54 160

Does that exclude option #1 as a viable alternative to still accomplish what we want to do?

I'm not sure, but sounds like it if the rates are dynamically generated.

Does the Qty have to be visible for it?

The quantity area you circled is just the cart page layout on our demo store. You can edit anything on your theme as you normally would. For the app snippet, it just shows the Tip Jar widget (amount selector + button).

Can I put more than one on the screen? 

Yes, anywhere you include the snippet it will show up in the theme (you'll get instructions after installing the app).

Does the drop-down have to contain the amount only, or could it say something like: $1 - Fast shipping, $2 - Really Fast shipping
Everything is customizable. When you install the app you'll get a welcome email with an invitation to reply for help setting up. That will get you in touch with 1 of the developers to help set up how you like it.

Basically, it's pretty customizable and built by a team of Shopify developers, so whatever you need... if it's possible we can make it happen. 👍

Enjoy the adventure!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
714 54 160

Whup, I missed a question: 

Also, do you have a Video or something demoing TipJar?

I see you found the demo, but we also have a video that will explain the installation procedure so you can see how it works: https://speedboostr.com/tip-jar (click on the first toggle in the Installation section)

Enjoy the adventure!
0 Likes