Chargebacks - does anybody actually win these?

Highlighted
Excursionist
41 1 5

Chargebacks with Shopify payment gateway. Does anyone here actually win against a chargeback that you KNOW 100% you should have won?

I mean, the credit card banks will ALWAYS side with thier customers no matter how much proof you provide to them.

Heres a perfect example:

We revieved a chargeback from a customer claiming they did not recieve thier item (60-lb item, Large). The customer never once notifed or conatcted us that they did not recieve thier item....they simply filed a chargeback immediatly and didnt allow us to rectify the situation or look into it. Weird right?

So we looked at thier tracking number (which shows delivered) and it also noted on the tracking number it states "Given to customer" where it shows delievered....which means the package was actually HANDED to the customer.

https://zoovaa.myshopify.com/admin/payments/dispute_evidences/221806624/file_upload/86343712

This information (tracking number and screenshot) was given to the bank in which the Chargeback was filed with. And YUP....you guessed it.....we still lost this chargeback.

So my question is......

DOES ANYBODY EVER WIN CHARGEBACKS ?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
523 1 101

Hey there,

My name is Alex, I'm a guru here at Shopify.  

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience - it's awful when chargebacks aren't resolved in your favour.  While we've got some great resources that can help increase the chances of chargebacks being resolved in your favour, and Shopify provides all the supplemental data we have access to in order to support you, the final decision is up to the credit card providers.  I absolutely understand how frustrating it is when you've done everything you can to back up your case and end up losing the chargeback regardless.

I can assure you that chargebacks do get resolved in the favour of merchants, though I can't provide you with specific examples for privacy reasons.  However, while card providers do tend to lend more weight to the interests of their customers, it's absolutely possible to win a chargeback; merchants can and frequently do win chargeback decisions by replying to the chargeback within their admin with supplementary evidence.  

Have you been seeing a pattern of lost chargebacks in your store of late?  If this is becoming an issue for your store, and you're doing everything you've outlined in your example above when responding to chargebacks, I might suggest looking into apps for help - Signifyd and NoFraud are apps that will provide additional fraud checks on your orders, and offer a zero-liability guarantee of their services; might be worth looking into!

Hope that's helped - please feel free to let me know, and you can always give us a call or start a live chat at any time, if you'd like to talk this over in more detail.  We're open 24/7 for your convenience and always happy to assist!

Cheers,

Alex | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
41 1 5

I think you nailed it on the head by saying "the final decision is up to the credit card providers". In which, kinda backs up my theory of " the credit card banks will ALWAYS side with thier customers no matter how much proof you provide to them".

So i was trying to get a feel of the general Shopify storefront users who has gotten chargebacks what their successes were, ....or if they were not successes at all.

Highlighted
1 0 0
I have just lost a chargeback where a customer used apparently a stolen credit card!! I was issued with a chargeback and before I could do anything the money was taken out of my bank account (over $1000.00) Shopify weren’t any help at all and now I’m out of pocket and someone has gotten away with stealing from me! The customers bank didn’t contact me about the credit card! Did they go to the police? Was there anything done? Where’s reports and correspondence between Shopify and the bank? It’s a load of shit!!
0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

I also lost a charge back where i definitely should have won- with proof and all. So is there anyone who won a charge back ever?????

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4

Shopify has enabled a chargeback and is now complicit in stealing $2950.00 from me. I had a 'customer' John Bruce, who said he was from Chile and wanted to buy my product but use his "private shipper". As someone very new to business, knowing people who've lived in Chile who said it's rare, but not unheard of to use an independent shipper, thought sure. Long story short, he paid in one transaction the full amount, with his legitimate credit card. I then wired the shipping cost to his shipper. Instead of arranging for pick up, he instead wanted to double the order. This time he tried to use stolen cards, I figured it out and stopped that from happening. In the meantime, he's asked for a chargeback and Shopify is shaking me down for the entire cost of the original order, even having sent proof of the wire transfer and all the emails from back and forth with the instructions from them to me.  

I'm beyond disgusted with Shopify and the company they outsource to deal with this. It is apparent that it's just about collecting money and doing it as lazily as possible. They don't care who is getting robbed, as long as it isn't them. In the last 2 weeks, I've had 2 other international inquiries about using private shippers and do I accept credit cards, apparently, this is a thing. It's been a $3000.00 lesson. I'll be trying a different platform. I did everything Shopify asked in a timely way including calling about the situation, filing a police report, submitting 30+ pages of documentation and the response has been to tell me what I don't understand and asking did I read the fine print. Blame the victim seems to be the way they roll. I've no expectations of getting made whole. 

In the meantime, they have been taking money out of my meager sales without saying anything AND without any warning unilaterally shut down my store late on a Friday afternoon (the people with the keys don't work on the weekend).  How this is okay is baffling. The Gurus have been nice, but the chargeback folks are bad at their jobs and truly don't care about slowing down fraud, they are willing and active participants making it pay. Store beware, they aren't on your side.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
Beth, why does Shopify owe YOU for YOU being dense and falling for a scam?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4
Because I alerted them that the scam had taken place. I was ready to pay back the money that they crooks hadn’t already been refunded. Shopify did the charge back knowing the card was the criminal’s own, knowing I’d wired money to him and was then asking for all the money. They knew it was a criminal transaction and paid the crook.

And thanks for asking it in such a supportive way, you must be a peach to work with.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 3
Same thing happened to my store, I had 5 purchases 1 week apart of each other, done from a guy in Philippines, it’s true that there was a fraud alert on every one of his orders so I emailed the customer asking why the IP address was different, he changed the IP address and told me he was a drop shipper. So I shipped him all the 5 orders To the Philippines. Now so far I have received 4 chargeback, for which the first one was already resolved in favor of the client even after submitting all the evidence.
Then I received another order from a different customer from Philippines as well but with IP address of California and to be shipped to California, fraud alert was raised and I refused to fulfill the order and refunded the money for which Shopify charged me a fee. Really? We cannot win.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4
No.

If you are asked to ship overseas for wholesale, or an expensive order either know your customer and have a relationship, or require payment to be wired before you ship anything. Shopify and the banks will not care or do anything even with a mountain of evidence showing the transactions and the instructions/fraud.

I get emails weekly from people who want to place big orders to places like Belize. They have US credit cards and ask about private shippers. These are frauds. The play is you invoice them, they ‘pay’ the total, you wire the shipper, they charge back the entire thing. For me it was a $3000. lesson. Thankfully they thought, correctly, that I was trusting and before any product got shipped they wanted to triple their ‘order’, used stolen credit cards (I figured this out) and it stopped there.

Now if I hear from anyone overseas, it’s easy to weed out the frauds. The real people will wire the money and use an established shipper. I’m thrilled to do business overseas and do a lot of it.

Also, call the credit card company if you ever have a question, you can find out immediately if it’s stolen.