Checking Out Early. How is this happening?

Dawn_Borden
1 0 0

Hi!

Our Shopify store is open almost all the time except for a short stocking period each month.  Here's how it works.  We have some limited items that drop on the same date every month.  Prior to the limited release launch, customers are able to add any limited or pre-order items to their cart but they cannot check out prior to the drop time.  On the "launch" day we close the store for two hours to prepare and then open with the limited stock at an exact set time each month.  We recently noticed is that there is one customer who  checked out two minutes before the actual launch.  Curious, I looked back through her order history and it shows that he/she has done this for the past few months.

Any idea how this is happening?

Many thanks!

0 Likes
Ava
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
854 54 130

Hey, @Dawn_Borden!

I'm Ava from Shopify, I'd like to help here!

One possible explanation here is that this particular customer could have checked out early if they used an abandoned checkout link they got in their email from the product/preorder, they then open the link and make the purchase while the store is password protected. The best way to check if this is what happened would be to copy the “checkout id” for that order at the bottom of the order timeline and search for it in the abandoned checkouts area. If an abandoned checkout comes up for that checkout ID, then that’s how they were able to buy it. You can see the checkout ID if you scroll to the bottom of the order page:

30-05-tx3dn-m65pv

If this is how the early checkouts have happened, then moving forward you have the option of disabling abandoned checkout emails temporarily, but that wouldn’t affect emails that are already sent. You would have to take these few that have already been sent on a case-by-case cancel/refund scenario.

This is just one example of what it could be, but it can be difficult to judge for sure without taking a look at the order in question from within your admin. You can reach out to our support team to start a live chat - this way our team can authenticate you as the account owner and then ask our technical team to investigate for you further. They should be able to get to the bottom of this for you for sure!

Let me know what you think! 

Ava
Social Care | help.shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes