Checkout autofill address

2 0 0

Hi,

The autofill address feature is good, however it still can be improved.

First it put the subrub into the Apartment field, so I change the filed label to Suburb.

Then I realize it won't update(empty) the suburb field if the autofill address doesn't have a suburb.

Last it would be good to have a option which can make the Suburb, City County, Region and Postal code uneditable.

What's the point of autofilled address if people can still alter these fields incorrectly.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
308 23 44

Hi, @Zihan.

Tira here, from Shopify Support.

Thank you for reaching out. These fields can be autofilled by either your browser, or pulled from your customer's information after they log in to their customer account. Addresses will be pre-filled into the fields after the customers login. The address filled in will be the last one that the customer used during checkout. You can learn more about enabling customer accounts in our help doc, here: Enabling customer accounts on checkout. You can also use Google's autocomplete feature on your store's checkout. To enable it, view the steps here: Set-up Google Autocomplete.

You are correct about the Apartment field - it will only populate if there was something entered into that field previously. I appreciate that you changed this field to say "Suburb" so that it fits with your store's niche. You can learn more about using the language editor to change how these fields are named, here: Checkout language. You can translate the checkout, add your own checkout language and select another checkout language.

The address fields are made to edit, so that if a customer makes a mistake on their order, they can quickly go back to these fields and change them as needed. At the end of the checkout stage when they are reviewing their order, the customer will also have the option to click on the "Edit" button to edit their address. This is a best practice as this will prevent abandoned checkouts and will save you time from having to correct address mistakes or shipping to the wrong address based on human error. 

Let me know if that helps! 

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hi, I think my second question needs a fix.

e.g.  type "123 Albert Street" and select "123 Albert Street, Auckland CBD".

Address2 is autofilled with "Auckland CBD".

Now type in another address "20 Jacinda Close" and choose from the suggestion.

Address2 is still "Auckland CBD" which is not updated because the value is null.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
308 23 44

Hi again, @Zihan.

Thank you for clarifying your question and for providing these steps. I followed your instructions on my own test store and I can see that the second address line does stay the same, and does not change when a suggested address is selected in the first address field. I did some digging and this is a feature request that a few of our merchants have, so I am happy to add your name to the list of merchants who are looking to change this feature to "Suburb" in New Zealand and to automatically update it as an address is selected. Our developers are aware of this request and if we move forward with this change, then we will let you and all of our merchants know via our changelog or announcements page

If you have any other questions or feedback to add, please let me know by replying to this thread. I am happy to help!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes