Solved

Why isn't the Shopify checkout available for my new store?

CodyM
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello folks,

We are trying to setup our store to go live tonight at midnight. However when I test I go to checkout with our product and get the error "Checkout isn't available in preview. Return to the store preview or contact the store owner."

I have purchased the preferred plan already and I'm in a bit of a panic getting this ready. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solution (1)
Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for your feedback, @Multiorders_Ltd. I can see how having full testing access with draft orders would make an impact for your development store, and have forwarded your feedback to our developers. If we move forward with any changes, we will list them in our developer changelog.

Thank you for the screenshot, this is helpful. We can take a look at your account to resolve this issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/36jPfBf and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic and have locked this thread. Thanks!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 17 (17)

Ted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1255 115 137

Hi @CodyM,

Ted here from Shopify, thanks for posting your query! 

That sounds odd especially if the store is not on a trial and you have already selected a plan. Could you share your store's URL with me and I'll try to replicate this with you? If you are using Shopify Payments, please enable Test Mode or please enable the Bogus gateway instead and I'll create an order. 

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know, I'm happy to help!

Many thanks,

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

njmerch
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello Ted

I am getting the same error with my website but have not yet purchased a plan; could this be why? Also, when a customer places an order do I buy the package and enter their shipping information?

Ted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1255 115 137

Hi @njmerch,

Thanks for reaching out to us! 

Yes, you will need to select a plan to gain access to the checkout and process orders. When you select a plan, you will not be charged anything until your free trial has ended. Our price plans and features guide can be found here and a great breakdown of how we charge can be found here if you would like to take a look! 

In regards to your products and shipment, how are you shipping the product to the customer? Are you dropshipping as mentioned in this guide? If so, there are apps such as Oberlo that can help transfer your customer's shipment information to AliExpress automatically. More info can be found here and a great step-by-step dropshipping course is available through Shopify Compass if you would like to sign up! 

If you are not dropshipping, could you tell me how you are shipping the product to the customer or what your current business set up is like? Have you created a business plan?

Many thanks, 

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

njmerch
Visitor
2 0 0
Hi Ned, thanks for getting back to me.
Yes, I am dropshipping. Also, one more question: After my 14 day free trial
of my Shopify website is over, will I still be able to add products and
work on my website? Or will I be locked out?
Multiorders_Ltd
Tourist
4 0 13

Hello, our store is on a custom Development plan for testing purposes and we have as of today began receiving the error message saying "To save this draft order, 1 change needs to be made: Checkouts are not available for this store."

What should we do?

truthbw
Tourist
3 0 6

I also am using a development shop and am unable to complete draft orders. Same error message.

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, @Multiorders_Ltd and @truthbw

Tira here to help.

Thanks for reaching out. I can see how testing orders on your development store would be helpful. This allows you to make sure that checkout process and settings for order processing, inventory, shipping, email notifications, and taxes are all correct.

Real orders for testing cannot be made on development stores. You can test payments using our Bogus Gateway to simulate a transaction, enable test mode on Shopify Payments or your third-party payment provider, or transfer your development store to your clients and choose a paid plan to make real orders with your payment provider. Here’s our help doc with these steps: Testing orders in development stores.

Have you tried any of these methods before?

Multiorders_Ltd
Tourist
4 0 13

Hello, 

We would always create orders through the backend of the store, then mark them as Pending, then Paid/Unpaid depending on what the test requires.

Sometime last week we started getting this table popping up.

Multiorders_Ltd_0-1624867032315.png

And when we try to finish order create we now get this error

Multiorders_Ltd_1-1624867165197.png

I have gone into settings and messed with enabling Shopify payments and it started working. I assume there we're some changes made to prevent creating and accepting orders over the backend if you don't have any payment method enabled? Or alternatively someone from our team was messing with the settings and broke the set-up.

In any case, it does work now, thanks.

Multiorders_Ltd
Tourist
4 0 13

Ignore my previous statement, it doesn't work. Not sure what happened, it allowed me to create a single order and stopped immediately. I have finished settings up Shopify payments and have enabled test mode.

Multiorders_Ltd_0-1624875225613.png

I also have several Manual payment methods turned on as well.

Multiorders_Ltd_1-1624877549744.png

Using any of them at the shops back end gives me the same error

Multiorders_Ltd_2-1624877602440.png

Trying to checkout at the front end of the store gives a similar error

Multiorders_Ltd_3-1624877681956.png

Just to quickly clarify as well, when I said we have a development store and a plan enabled I meant this, this is not a trial store.

Multiorders_Ltd_4-1624877747152.png

Tradebox_UK_Adm
Shopify Partner
2 0 7

we use the development plan to test order downloads, stock uploads etc. Orders are fictitious and we use manual payment methods like payment on delivery or bank transfer. This no longer works. Having the ability to test the integration with the Shopify platform is really useful to stay on top of changes and provide our customers (Shopify users) with all of the available functionality. Is it possible to maintain a developer account in these circumstances. We are not using the platform to actually sell on and are not using actual payment methods.

Tradebox_UK_Adm
Shopify Partner
2 0 7

Just to feed back that we have test orders back up and running using the Bogus payment option and placing orders through the front end. Thanks for the support from Shopify. More details on how to do this can be found at; https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/checkout-settings/test-orders

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, @Tradebox_UK_Adm and everyone,

Thanks for the update. I’m happy to hear this is working for you.

I heard back from our technical team and I want to reiterate that while you can’t checkout real orders using a draft order on a development store, you can test payment gateways like Shopify Payments or the Bogus Gateway through the online checkout as you mentioned, @Tradebox_UK_Adm and run unlimited test transactions. Here’s our help doc with the steps to test the checkout on different payment methods: Placing a test order.

When you place a test order, you’ll be able to make sure that your checkout process and settings for order processing, inventory, shipping, email notifications, and taxes are all correct and you won’t be charged for a test order. Check out our help doc on testing orders on development stores for more information.

Real orders cannot be processed with development stores, they can process real transactions after a plan is selected. Check out our help doc on creating draft orders to learn more.

If you have any feedback or questions about testing orders on development stores, please reply directly to this thread, we’re open to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers,

Multiorders_Ltd
Tourist
4 0 13

None of the options mentioned in https://help.shopify.com/en/partners/dashboard/managing-stores/test-orders-in-dev-stores work as off 06-28-2021 or earlier. All that we are getting is the same damn error saying "Checkouts are not available for this store.". The Shopify payments in test mode doesn't work, Bogus Gateway throws the same error, I can't mark orders as paid manually either.

Multiorders_Ltd_0-1625645070104.png

In the past we could mark Draft orders as complete, I don't know if you realize but when testing if the order statuses work in  our app before update are being released into the public, we need to be able to see ALL order statuses. Thats the whole point of the Development store.

We don't need to run actual payments, we just need to be able to mark the damn things as paid and as an actual order in the system.

What are we supposed to do now? Test on users, register a new Shopify account every 14 days? Or am I just **bleep** stupid and some option has been turned off @Tira 

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for your feedback, @Multiorders_Ltd. I can see how having full testing access with draft orders would make an impact for your development store, and have forwarded your feedback to our developers. If we move forward with any changes, we will list them in our developer changelog.

Thank you for the screenshot, this is helpful. We can take a look at your account to resolve this issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/36jPfBf and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic and have locked this thread. Thanks!

Dan_wwa
Shopify Partner
2 0 2

Hi, I've been experiencing the same issue today too.

Went to create an order and get the same error: 

Dan_wwa_0-1624964224481.png

This is on a development store also - not on a trial store.

It's essential that I am able to create dummy orders in order to test the functionality of our application. 

It would be great if a support ticket could be opened up on this issue so that it can be resolved. 

Thanks!

rkazokas
Tourist
8 0 3

I am experiencing the same thing on our partner development store. I was able to create a single order today, and then after that i am receiving the same error as everyone else in this thread. We are using the bogus gateway and have been able to create orders in the past. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 12.30.56 PM.png

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, everyone.

Tira here, again.

Thank you for the screenshots and details, this is really helpful and I appreciate it. I want you to know that I've notified our technical team to take a further look. Once I have an update, I will return here to provide an update from our team.

Feel free to add any other updates that come up on your end here, we're happy to take a look.

Cheers,