Checkout page - Change order of payment methods

Tourist
5 0 2

Hi there,

most of our customers convert MOBILE, but we do not like the order of our payment methods on the checkout page.

Is there a simple way for changing the order of the payment methods? Customers rarely pay with credit card, but this method is shown first, so it would be great if we could change the order of all methods.

Thank you in advance and let me know if you need more information.

Bests,

Johannes

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
46 0 9

Hey Johannes!

I'm Alex, from the Shopify Support team. 

I'm afraid that for security purposes, the checkout pages are not customizable beyond the options you see in your theme (logo upload, colours, etc). You can deactivate the credit card option if you'd prefer that it weren't a part of the checkout, but rearranging the active options isn't currently something that is possible.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience! Feel free to follow up here with any further questions. 

0 Likes
2 0 2

Hi Alexandra, do you think Shopify is taking this into consideration?

It is a little bit wierd to force merchants to use a specific order, for example I want to try bitcoin right now, but the common option which is credit card is appearing bellow bitcoin, my common users will be all confused and there's nothing I can do besides deactivating the BTC method for good.

Pleas help us out.

2 Likes
Tourist
14 0 2

Hi Alexandra,

Does this change? It's absolutely disappointing to hear that we can not change the order of our payments methods in checkout.

Regards, Dan Nistor | Instagram Expert
1 Like
Tourist
14 0 2

Reto, Elias,

Did you guys find a way of changing this? 

Thanks!

Regards, Dan Nistor | Instagram Expert
1 Like
Shopify Partner
1 0 3

I have to admit, this is something I don't like either. Merchants should absolutely be able to change the order of payment methods.

I'm very surprised this is not available.

3 Likes
1 0 1

This is a very simple functionality to add. It is a question of when rather than if it is added. I'd like to hear the timeline from Shopify. We had to remove payment methods to make the default provider the one that provides all sorts of payment methods, including credit cards. However, since Shopify does not realise this, we had to disable all options under credit cards, and all options in alternative payment methods that are sorted above the preferred gateway of ours. Needless to say this is far from optimal, and rather confusing for customers. There are many reasons to be happy with Shopify, but this is definitely not one of them.

1 Like
4 0 0

I totally agree Tapani.

It is quite unprofessional for us not to be able to choose our preferred default payment gateway and the order of our payment gateways. It is quite unacceptable as certain marketing strategies can depend on it, and it makes the website look potentially less professional in certain scenarios.
I would like to accept paypal as an option for example, but not as my primary..

I think it makes the site look a bit "cheap" and regardless, I've heard many horror stories regarding paypal and I'd prefer customers to have stripe as the immediate default selection.

Which payment gateway do you prefer and use as your default currently if I may ask?

0 Likes
1 0 0
I also think it's quite important we have the functionality to change the order it appears at checkout.

I would also like to see the option to have certain customers that are tagged to have different payment options appear,

E.g. customers tagged with "account" would have a "manual payment method" added as an payment option, and when selected, prompting me to put their order on our accounts system that is separate from Shopify.

Not sure why Shopify is extremely strict with the payment options
0 Likes
6 0 0

Is there a way to achieve this in a Shopify Plus Setup?

0 Likes