Chip/Contact readers not available in Canada

Highlighted
1 0 1

I would like to know why, as a Canadian company, Shopify has left its Canadian users behind both the US and UK with its availability for the chip and tap readers. The Canadian banks have clearly indicated that swiping is an insecure means of card reading relative to the newer technologies. Square acknowledged this and forced all users to move to their chip reader or accept the potential liabilities themselves.

I am out of Ottawa and regularly come across the Shopify marketing push of being proudly Canadian both directly from them and from media. Unfortunately for Shopify, actions speak louder than words and this leaving behind of Canadian users speaks volumes of what being proudly Canadian means to the company. I am proudly Canadian and was excited to work with a provider so vocal about being Canadian, this is most disappointing.

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

If we could have a timeline for Chip and Tap readers in Canada it would be very helpful.

I currently run my business through Square + Merchant services and the lack of Chip+Tap readers for Shopify is a major drawback on switching my business over from Square.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm wondering the same thing.  Particularly now that it would be preferable for customers to not have to touch anything.  Have you come up with a solution to this, or have you heard back from Shopify?  We are e-commerce only at the moment, but expanding to markets now and selling in person.  Not sure how to process payments, other than manually typing in their credit card into the Shopify POS app.

0 Likes