Chip & Swipe Reader No Longer Pairing with iPad after iOS update

Highlighted
2 0 1

My iOS on my iPad did an automatic update 2 nights ago.  Ever since then, my Chip & Swipe card reader is no longer supported when I try to pair it through bluetooth.  I have the Tap & Chip reader as well that I had never even taken out of the box.  I tried to pair that one and the iPad will not even discover that one.  We have been having to manually key in credit cards, which I do not like because it does not require a customer signature.  I called Apple first because the problem arose after their update.  They were ZERO help.  They said that it was a Shopify issue.  I argued.  They said it was because their system updated but likely my Shopify hardware wasn't up-to-date now with their update.  So, I called Shopify and they were ZERO help as well.  The man I spoke to said he had to escalate my case to someone else who would then be in contact with me via email.  I have still not been contacted.  We have done all the restarts and resets, etc. that are typical with malfunctions and nothing is working.  I can't check for an update on the card reader because when it wouldn't connect, I deleted it from my POS thinking I could just repair it and get it to work.  WRONG!  Now, I can't even pair it and that is the whole issue.  Has anyone else had this issue or can anyone help.  We are in our busy season right now and I NEED a card reader.  I even ordered a new Chip & Swipe just to test out a new one.  It likely won't be here until next week.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi, curious if you found a fix for this problem. My IPAD updated last night and now I can't get the card reader to connect no matter what I do.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi!  We did find a solution, finally.  Turns out the first person I talked to with Shopify just was not a good representative and didn't have a clue about anything.  The 2nd person I talked to was very helpful.  Apparently, when the iPad updated something within the Shopify POS app lost permission to connect to bluetooth.  It should have popped up and asked for permission again, but it never did.  So, he had me uninstall the POS app, which I was very nervous about since all my inventory was there, but he assured me that the inventory was not saved int he app itself, but on the backend so once I uninstalled and reinstalled, everything would still be there.  So I uninstalled and reinstalled.  The very first thing it did after I reinstalled was ask for permission to use bluetooth.  Of course, I said yes and everything has been connecting and working ever since.  So, I would uninstall and reinstall your POS app.  It will not mess up any of your inventory of anything like that.

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

If your situation is like mine was, this is a permissions setting issue within the POS app settings.    Go to iOS Settings --> Shopify POS Settings ---> Make Sure Bluetooth is on there, as well as on the iOS device overall.  It took way longer to find this setting than I care to admit.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Thanks for taking the time to update us on the process...same exact thing happened to me today and I dislike manual entry by there is an increases percentage taken versus swiping.  All fixed now!! Thanks!

0 Likes