Close My Store (Temporarily)

Gourav07
Tourist
10 0 3

Hi There,

I am planning to close my store (temporarily) as I haven't gotten much business lately 

However, I don't want to sell the store or close it permanently. Just freeze it for time being as I'm trying to promote my online business through other means and once it makes a name in the market, I'd like to unfreeze my online store 

This may take more than 3 months or even 1-2 years and Shopify has only a 3 month pause option (it's not flexible)

Hence, I wanted to understand whats going to happen once I close the store. I am expecting the below the things to happen (correct me if I'm wrong) :

• all payments will stop until I reopen the store

• all my information will stay the way they are

• il still have the online store and domain (frozen until I login again with a plan)

• and when I'm ready to reopen, I'd have to login again and choose a plan to continue using the online store 

Can someone provide a little clarity on the above !

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Gourav

0 Likes
Aria
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
841 32 290

Hey!

Aria here, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify.

You've got it! This is exactly how it works. You would need to log in and choose a plan before the 3 months were over to avoid losing any data from your store.

Since you seem to think it will take longer than this, my suggestion is to back everything up before you close the store so you still have everything. That way, if you need to you can just start a new free trial and import your edited theme, your products, customers, even orders if you have any. Check out our Backups and duplication guide for more information on how this works and exclusions (things like discount codes, issued gift cards and visitor data can't be transferred). As mentioned in the guide, you would need to contact Shopify Support if you want to transfer a theme license to another store. Make sure you download your theme before you close your store if you think you will want to do that at a later date.

Even if you think you will be back before the three months are over, it's a good idea to backup your data anyway, that way it's protected no matter what happens.

Aria
Social Care

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Gourav07
Tourist
10 0 3

Hi Aria,

Thank you for your prompt response on this 

I got what you are saying. However, my question was a little different. Let me try and rephrase it !

Is there a way where I still have my account and my data but not an online store or any active subscription ?

I don't want to close it in a way which requires me to back my data up. I just want to stop the monthly subscription as I'm not really doing any sales via my website yet ! However, I use my Shopify account to create offline orders and invoicing using other apps. Hence, I need the account but not the online store as of now ! 

And when I'm ready, il subscribe to a plan and start my online store again ! 

In a nutshell, I want to understand if I can stop the subscription plan for running an online store and still be able to use my Shopify account for my offline orders and invoicing !

Let me know your inputs on the same  

Thanks

Gourav Jain

0 Likes
Aria
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
841 32 290

Hey, @Gourav07!

I apologize if I misunderstood you the last time. 

There are two ways to pause your store. You can pause your store completely where you have no access to your account at all until you decide to come back and choose a plan. You can keep it paused for up to three months. Alternatively, there is the Pause and Build plan which allows you to have access to your store and keep building it but you don't have a functioning checkout. The Pause and Build plan is $9 USD per month. There is no option to pause for free and still have access. Both pause options are detailed in this guide

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes