Solved

Why was I charged while closing my online store?

ebasics101
Visitor
1 0 0

So, I went to close my store because my hours at work were reduced to the point that I can no longer afford the monthly fees for the store and app.

But, when I went to close, my card was charged right then? What is this? The entire point was that I couldn't afford it, and it actually drove my account negative from the charge. This is the ONLY subscription service I've ever used that actually charged as you closed, and my account was already in a paid billing cycle, it's not like I was behind on the payment and they had to collect. This is so infuriating. There wasn't even like a warning that the next month's payment would be extracted.

Is there a way to get a refund for this? 

Accepted Solution (1)

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @ebasics101,

Hank here from Shopify!

By the sound of things, it may be an additional charge, like a transaction fee or third party app charges which may not be refundable.

But as this is account specific, I will just need to verify your account. I will send you an email to the email address attached to this forum's account and confirm some security questions about your store. Once you reply to that email, I will look into this further for you. -Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 17 (17)

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @ebasics101,

Hank here from Shopify!

By the sound of things, it may be an additional charge, like a transaction fee or third party app charges which may not be refundable.

But as this is account specific, I will just need to verify your account. I will send you an email to the email address attached to this forum's account and confirm some security questions about your store. Once you reply to that email, I will look into this further for you. -Hank

NicolasMesa
Visitor
1 0 0

This also happened to me. This is very frustrating, due no person i can call or email for my problem. I have the same charge as the other gentleman.  Would someone be able to reach out to me someway to resolved the problem.

Grace23
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Support,

I would like to close my online store before my subscription ends. When I tried to close my account, Shopify is charging me and I don't understand why.

Would you please help me close my account before my billing cycle starts on 17.12.2020.

Thanks

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thank you for reaching out via the Community forums, @Grace23.

The reason you are being charged is as you have said, the billing invoice is due December 17. So as the billing for Shopify is pro-rated, this is why the system is looking for the amount when you try to close your store.

What I can try to do, is in some rare cases the team may be able to stop this charge from happening, but if you do get charged, we may be able to refund you. The only thing that we cannot refund for is domain charges (as these are considered a one-off charge that lasts one calendar year), and third-party app charges, which would need to be approved by the individual app developer.

What I will do is send you an email to verify your store, and I can take a closer look at this for you.

roadwarriorkit
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @Hank I'm experiencing this for almost a year already. Customer support is useless. I don't receive the right responses. Hope you can assist me with this.

roadwarriorkit
Visitor
3 0 0

@Hank any updates?

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thank you for reaching out here, @roadwarriorkit.

Can you tell me more about the issue you are facing or referring to? The more context you can provide, the better we can assist you.

Are you looking to close your store, or is it relating to something else?

If however, it relates to something account-specific, in order to provide you with the most efficient support, please visit our Help Center, log in to your account, and create a support request to chat with the live teams.

roadwarriorkit
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @Hank,

Actually I closed my account last year and removed the plugins/add-ons but I'm still charged month. I already raised this before with the Customer Support but still didn't resolve the issue. What details you need to check what's causing the deduction/charges?

Thank you!

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thank you for the additional context.

What I would advise doing is contacting the live chat teams via the link I shared previously, just so they can take a look at your account to ensure that no charges come after closing.

Additionally, I would recommend checking this link to see if your email is associated with any other store. That will show any store that you have an email associated with, that could be where the charge is coming from, but we would love to be able to resolve this for you.

The live support teams will be able to authenticate your account and take a closer look into this for you, my friend.

devshivansh23
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello There!

You must removed your credit card from your Shopify store, might be that's the reason why you getting charge for your plugins/add-ons. I would like to suggest you to open your store once and removed the card and uninstall the plugins on which you are getting charged. 

Thanks!

Jackie8
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, I recently closed my Shopify store, but I didn't cancel the apps so I am still getting charged. How can I cancel my apps now? Do I need to restart my plan for another month or is there something else I can do? Thank you in advance.

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 318

Hi! I'd recommend re-activating your store and deleting or disabling the respective app. If you do that within one day you will not be automatically billed by the system.  Alternatively, you could reach out to the app developers directly to inform them of your store closure. -Hyde

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Champagnerty1
Visitor
1 0 0

Hank - apparently this is an ongoing issue - I need my store closed too. Please look into it or let me know what to do.

A7210128-E3F2-4F3F-AFFB-B1426B750825.png

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 318

Hi @Champagnerty1,

Hyde here stepping in to help. 

If you're receiving an error message that suggests your last invoice was not paid, then it means we have tried and failed to collect payment. So you can either pay the outstanding invoice and then close your store, or simply ignore it and the store will ultimately freeze. If you never intend to use the store again, you can simply leave it as frozen. 

I hope that helps!

All the best, Hyde. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Pulmonary2121
Visitor
1 0 1

I requested my account closed due to the fact i do not use it and this was for $14.00 monthly and as of today they are still charging me, I need this to be resolve as soon as possible. 

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thanks for reaching out about this, @Pulmonary2121 & @NicolasMesa. As I was not tagged, I did not receive a notification to respond to assist you with this.

Did you manage to get a resolution for this? Let me know if not, and I'll happily assist you!

Astro2
Visitor
1 0 0

I have the same problem in my account. I am from Brazil and I close my account and still being charged.

there’s someway to get a refund and not even more being charged?