Cloudflare as a tool for rule base redirect creation

Highlighted
Tourist
27 0 2

I am using a Shopify Plus platform, and migrating from magento.

Current website link configs to consider:

1) /brands/"brand-name"/"product-key".html

2) /category/"category-name"/"sub-catname"/"product-key".html

3) /"product-key".html

4) All one off landing pages, and catalog/collection/brand landing pages

I've already addressed #4, and #3, which results in about 250K 1:1 redirects needing to be added(the bulk being a giant historic product catalog).

I'd like to simply write some redirect rules using Cloudflare's Page Rules tool, which would make this outstandingly simple.  However, I am hearing mention of an issue with the way CF's IP masking interacts with Shopify's anti-bot tool.  In short CF occassionally masks IPs (thought it still provides the origin IP in the header), and results in a false bot style attack with the increase in single IP interactions.

1) Are there alternatives to CF for rule based redirect management(yes I've checked traffic control and transportr apps but these will hit the 100K threshold quickly)?

2) Can anyone prove the issue outlined above is an actual concern?  Both Shopify team and Cloudflare are aware, and can see it potentially being a problem, but I've got no concrete examples of the issue.

3) Has anyone worked on a catalog of redirects of this size, and do you have information on the SEO damage simply cherry picking what we redirect would incur?

4) I've read in other forum posts that cart caching is an issue(all be it dated), but it seems that  is not an immediate threat in either Shopify or Cloudflare's techs eyes.  Is this issue something to be written off?

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9746 86 1493

Trust your Launch Manager / MSM  - whoever at Shopify Plus that you're talking to on this.

Running Cloudfare in front of Shopify is very likely to result in a problem for your customers. Especially at the level of scale/traffic that Plus customers see. If you need some form of validation on the IP blocking side - throw a bunch of traffic from various devices (with same IP) at a store and you should see it blocked. 

SEO tools like SEMrush can run into issues as well since they'll crawl the system at a high speed. That sort of bot like activiity can also be blocked.

Scalability is important so those checks help to maintain / control load from legitimate and nasty traffic sources. Don't expect that to be the only reason, but they're good ones.

Questions:

• Do you have more than 100k products?
  • Do you have those 250k actually indexed by Google? I'd be focussing on the ones that have Google Juice attached. The rest the dont won't carry much value.
  • What's the cart caching issue you're reading on the forums?
★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Tourist
21 0 2

Jason,

I see you all over the forums. You seem quite brilliant.

I'd rather not use Cloudflare, if at all possible.

But could you guys kindly consider updating your nginx settings to be more modern? Http/2, etc. for not just speed advantages, but also technical seo purposes?

I'm big on technical SEO, since it's quite easy yet boosts deliberate efforts substantially.

Also, I was shocked to see how much of an improvement Cloudflare Argo makes. Cloudflare reports much bigger gains with the Shopify site I turned it on with than it does the other sites I help maintain.

https://www.cloudflare.com/argo/

I did 30 traceroutes from all over the world to Shopify, and I think I can see why. It appears Shopify is almost single homed with Zayo, which is kind of a second or third rate network, to be honest.

So I think the remainder of being able to NOT use Cloudflare in good conscience, would be a good network upgrade for Shopify.

First, you can get MANY of the same advantages Argo gives by using an internet network optimization device, from either InterNap, or the current leaders of them, Noction.com. These are absolutely brilliant devices that literally do what Argo does.

Second, to make it work properly, add perhaps level3.com for the US, Telia for Europe & Australia, NTT for Asia and GTT for the rest of the world would be a GREAT network mix.

Hosts I've used with a network mix like this (such as the former WiredTree, before their recent acquisition) have been utterly brilliant worldwide.

Many things we try to do with CDNs are often accomplished just as well, if not better, by the primary server having http/2 + Noction or Internap + a great mix of first tier networks.

Just some food for thought. Hopefully you can pass this on and start an internal discussion.

0 Likes