It took forever to get an answer, but Shopify finally told us that the limit on smart collections is 5,000, and the limit on manual/custom collections is 100,000.
They really should have an article on ALL the limits for a store: vendors, tags, etc.
Not sure what you are doing, but I will tell you that a city/county/state structure is an old school technique that in most cases google considers spam and may result in your website getting banned, heavily deindexed and penalized. It takes a while for them to catch it....lol... Again, not sure what you are doing, so may be perfectly fine, but do walk this path with caution as the results, if incorrectly done, will have lasting impacts.
Thank you for being so persistent in finding an answer to this...I have been wondering this for a long time. Shopify staff consistently say "There are no limits" even into 2020...100,000 and 5,000 are limits. We need to know this info. Good luck ~
I received this reply to my API questions:
- Automatic Collections - Limit 5000
- Collection tags - Limit 1000 - Additional unique tags can be added but liquid will only return 1000
- Products - 100 variants per product - The variant and option limits can only be increased by using a third-party app from the App Store
- CSV Imports - 15 MB or 20 MB if uploaded via the Settings > Files Section
- CSV Exports - 10,000 line items
- Shopify stores that have over 50,000 variants will be limited to the 1,000 variants per day limit upload