Combining 2 SKUs into one product

6 0 0

Apologies if this has been asked and answered. I got lost in the search topics and kept coming accross answers that were labeled as outdated.

I've found two identical products (an Adidas shoe) on Oberlo/Ali Express that are separated by size. Everything else is the same. I'd like to list the product on the store but it'd look a bit sloppy to have it there twice. Would it be possible to create variants of one shoe with the SKU of the other without it creating problems?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
18 0 4

Hi Patriel,

I found below reply from someone on Shopify forum and I used it for my store it's very helpful, please have a look :

A single product will not contain multiple SKUs in Shopify.
You need to look into how it's best to manage this.

When the box is added to the cart, it actually adds the contents - not the box.
The box is added to the cart, and optionally details about contents stored as line item properties.
#1 makes inventory easy to manage. Requires some theme mods to add the feature.
#2 is neater since it's one product, but will require that you have additional logic in place to:

keep inventory updated should the contenst of the box also exist as standalone items in the store
expand that single item come fulfilment time.
There are apps that can help with the logic in #2.

You can also use : 

1) http://apps.shopify.com/product-bundles

2) http://apps.shopify.com/shopify-assistant

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Akanksha

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
475 27 67

Hi, Patriel. 

This is Dallas from the Social Care Team here at Shopify. 

I completely understand what you are looking to do. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to combine 2 different product listings from dropshipping suppliers to one product inside of Shopify. I completely understand that it can be confusing as to why when you can just copy the number and add a variant. However, when you copy one of the SKU numbers and bring it into the other product it is basically breaking an invisible connection. Editing variants on a dropshipping product will severe the connection with the app so the supplier won't be notified of the order as a result.

This is especially the case if one product is imported from AliExpress and one is imported from Oberlo or if the products are from different suppliers.

I hope this helps to clarify how it works. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to let us know. 

Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
6 0 0

Thanks Akanksha and Dallas for your replies. One more question, though: Both of the products are from Oberlo. I haven't set up Oberlo to auto-fulfill, so I'm not worried about the app trying to pull a product that doesn't exist. Will setting the product up that way cause any other problems?

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
475 27 67

Hi, Patriel.

Even if you don't set the Oberlo products to auto-fill there is still a connection with Oberlo that will be needed. If you were to break the connection by combining the two products when you go into Oberlo to order the products the product won't show up on the orders page. 

If the order doesn't show up on the order page you won't have the correct order information pulled from Shopify. 

This document from Oberlo shows how to process an order. That should clarify how the products from Shopify are brought to the order page in Oberlo. 

I hope this helps.

Best,

Dallas

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes