Company Name vs First Name of the Individual

Highlighted
2 0 0

OK, so here is my situation...

Our store (like many I am sure) sells to both retail/commercial customers as well as direct to consumers. When a customer account is created and stored it is indexed and then displayed in the admin panel /admin/customers/ by "Name" (First Name and Last Name of the individual). This is fine for our individual consumers, but it is NOT good for our commercial/retail customers.

Additional Info:
I tag customers appropriately as "consumer" or "commercial" and use the app Lockdown to restrict a collection of products only for our commercial customers.

Question:
Is there a way to display the commercial customers in the /admin/customers/ page by their "Company" field vs. "Name"?
OR... Can/should I create custom account registration form that replaces/uses the "Name" field with the "Company" field only for commercial customers?

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this would be GREATLY appreciated!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
368 0 39

Hello David, Ben here - your Shopify Guru! 

You cannot filter the customers by their "customer note" which is where you store additional information collected on the registration page. Your best bet would be to change one of the name fields on your registration page to be the company name as you suggested. Then you could search for the company name and save that as a tab to let you sort the customer easy. 

The alternative would be to apply a tag to the customers with the company name. This would have to be done manually though and is likely not ideal. 

I hope this helps! Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions :)

Cheers,
Ben C - Shopify Guru
Support@Shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 4

We have been using Shopify for 2+ Years for 3 websites. Shopify is working well for us and the Customer Service is awesome. There are also a few very important features missing. Most any B2B business owner will tell you how important the Company Name and Customer Number really is.

(1)“Company Name" does not display in the Customer View/Look-Up Screen. 

Searching for a customer by company name in Shopify, it is virtually impossible to the best of my knowledge. Why, because the Company Name is simply not visible. Why, just because that is the way it is. That’s the best the Shopify Team has been able to offer and some have expressed frustration due to the number of requests and what appears to be such a simple fix for such a big deal

(2)“Customer Number” Customer Number is the most widely used Key field in most all accounting software and nowhere to be found in Shopify.

I have been told it can be stored in as a tag which may be ok for a few but not for me and I suspect many like me. After using a software package for 20 years that is keyed on customer number all the exports, reports and other available tools on Shopify are useless when needing to export Shopify and merge that data with my accounting software data which contains much more crucial information like Sales Person Number, Account Type, Customer Type, Term Code, Price Level, and a host of other information I would never expect Shopify to try to duplicate. But to omit the most important and render the next most important useless is mind boggling.   

Sorry for my rant but this drives me nuts. Am I alone or does the ones of us this does effect need to make a little more noise?

Maybe we can use and count the following hashtag posts. if it is only two or three I will shut up and sit down.
#customername&number

Respectfully,

Randy Walker

2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 10

I am new to shopify and completely flabbergasted by this.  My business is B2B and now all my shopify orders are coming in under the "individual".  Export to my accounting software creates a new customer for each one, because it doesn't find the existing customer that is the Company.  Really shaking my head, having second thoughts about having moved over..... 

0 Likes
Highlighted

The Customer Fields app is an ideal solution for this.

You can ask for the customer's company name during registration and easily see company name in the app's customer directory, which offers advanced filters & segmentation compared to /admin/customers. (The data is also saved to Shopify metafields which allows you to use it in more places if necessary).

You could also save customer segments for  "consumer" and/or "commercial" and configure the columns to only display relevant data for each group!

Michael | Business Development @ Helium
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution
Helium builds apps that merchants depend on:
Customer Fields app (since 2015)
Meteor Mega Menu app (since 2014)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 4

While it is 3 years later, I appreciate the information. My frustrarion has grown far beyond this inconvenience. I have found customer service sucks since starting 5 years ago. Since beginning with Shopify to having 4 stores service has gone from 5.0+ to a 0.5. Problems and unanswered questions are often "Esculated" only to never hear back about. Many issues can only be properly posed with direct communicstion and that has become a thing of the past. Any first hand suggestions on other platforms with responsive customer service appreciated.

0 Likes