Computer requirements for e-comm

Highlighted
2 0 0

I know this is really basic but I want to do things right.

Any thoughts about computer requirements to run online store...

mac or Windows?

ram? Etc

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
41 0 7

Hi James!

Welcome to the forum!  That's an interesting question.  I'm sure many people would be able to offer their insight for this, but I can tell you my personal specifications that I use :).  I should preface this with a disclaimer.  In my spare time, I use this laptop as a gaming laptop, so the specs are by no means "standard"

• Windows computer (running Windows 10)
  • Intel Core i7-4700HQ at 3.4 GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1 TB of HDD storage

When I travel, I use a MacBook Pro with the similar specs, but it has:

• 4 GB RAM
  • 750 GB storage

Keep in mind:  The beauty of Shopify is that the platform is entirely based online (excluding the mobile apps you can install on Android / iOS).  Shopify hosts your store itself, so you wouldn't need anything too insane to keep your store running, as your store is kept on our servers.

Specs for your computer wouldn't matter too much, so long as you've got a compatible web browser (we prefer Google Chrome for our platform), and the ability to run these browsers smoothly.

Everything else is preferential :)

I hope that helps!

- Jordan | Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I use an iPad, and it uses chrome as a web browser. However, Chrome extensions cannot be added to iPads and certain Shopify apps require Chrome extensions. If you drop ship and use the Oberlo app to process orders, you won’t be able to use an iPad or androids because Oberlo requires a Chrome extension. Also, certain apps on Shopify don’t work across all devices. They have an eBay app that I cannot view using iPad, but I can view and set up using android. Best to stick with a laptop. If you want something light and easy to carry around, you can try a notebook laptop, which is essentially a lightened-up version of a laptop. Think removing dead weight to keep the boat afloat. I am looking at the Jumper EZ Book X3 laptop.

0 Likes