Conditional product description to create more automatic descriptions ?

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi there!

This is my first post here, I am facing a problem, I got a very large catalog and would like to improve my descriptions and make it more automatic :

At first, I thought of doing conditions directly on my product template liquid file to create more automatic description based on content portions conditioned on the collection names, for exemple :

{% if product.collections contains 'mug' %}
a text about mugs

{% elseif product.collections contains 'plates' %}

a text about plates

{% endif %}
{% if product.collections contains 'flower-style-collection' %}
a text about the flower style collection
{% elseif product.collections contains 'urban-style-collection' %}

a text about the urban style collection
{% endif %}

a text about my products in general

It is the general idea,

that way I could create unique descriptions and it would be easier for me to handle.

The problem is that the Meta description takes the content that is in the product description written in the product description section.

Do there is any way to do that kind of conditions and build automatic descriptions inside the product description textarea itself ?

Thanks !

0 Likes
Pathfinder
113 14 26

Hi Charles,

First I told you that the shopify always display the product description automatically. If you don't see any product description on product page then you simply 

add {{ product.description }} in your product.template.liquid file. And add the description in product from admin panel.

Thanks

For Design, Development and custom changes Hire Me.
If your problem solved then Like & Accept this Solution.
Email ID: silencewebsolutions@gmail.com
0 Likes
4 0 0

Thank you for your answer but it is not what I try to do.

I try to write my descriptions in a conditional way, inside my product descriptions textbox, to be pushed to the seo meta description as well.

0 Likes
Pathfinder
113 14 26

@Charles75 wrote:

Thank you for your answer but it is not what I try to do.

I try to write my descriptions in a conditional way, inside my product descriptions textbox, to be pushed to the seo meta description as well.

So You can use the meta field app for the product desctiption.

https://apps.shopify.com/metafields-editor?surface_detail=metafields&surface_inter_position=1&surfac...

0 Likes
Pathfinder
113 14 26

For the product meta description shopify provide the field in admin panel product section. Open the product from admin panel and scroll down you see the

Edit website SEO  link when you click on link then you see the Meta Description field. You can here add the meta description for product, meta description are not added in product description area.

Thanks.

0 Likes
4 0 0

Thanks,

but I don't see a way to create a meta content and add it to, let's say all products in one collection in bulk, I see only adding one meta fields for one product.

And yeah, I need the content to be pushed automatically into the SEO Meta description, like the description content is by default.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
120 7 24

You might want to give Arigato a whirl here. You could do things like setting the product description automatically based on a collection.

You could also automatically set SEO metatags at the same time if you wanted them to be different than the description. Check out the action in the app for "Update One Or More Order Field Values" and the library workflow for automatic SEO changes at https://www.apps.bonify.io/mr-arigato-task-automator-for-shopify/workflows/change-seo-page-titles-se...

0 Likes