I'm really confused about something and would like some clarification.
I tried ordering online from an online store as a first-time customer today, the store is powered by Shopify. It is a small business.
At the checkout page, it asked me to fill in my email address and mobile phone number (as the first thing on the page).
I did just that. Immediately afterwards, I was sent a verification code to my mobile phone, and at the same time, a small screen popped up on the checkout page asking me to enter in the verification code. I was under the impression that I was merely verifying my email address and phone number so I entered in the code.
As soon as I did that, all of my payment information including my credit card information, address and name was pre-filled automatically.
I am surprised because:
1) I don't have a pre-existing Shop Pay account
2) I was never asked whether I was happy to join Shop Pay
3) My Google Chrome browser does not store any of my payment information (I have double checked this under Settings)
4) In the past, I have only ever ordered from large, reputable online stores (however this particular store I'm ordering from now is a small business)
5) While browsing the site, the online store didn't ask me to accept any cookie agreements
So my question is, how was it able to pre-fill all my payment information, address and name? The pre-fill was done AFTER I entered in my email address, phone number and subsequently the 6 digit verification code that I received, onto their checkout page.
Thank you in advance.
The flow you're talking about with the 6 digit code is Shop Pay.
If you do want to opt out this page might help: