Solved

Connecting our own UPS/FedEx account

Print_2002
Excursionist
22 0 25

I understand you need the Advanced or higher plan to display negotiated rates, but can I just simply connect my UPS account with Shopify in order to use UPS to fulfill orders rather than Shopify? I don't need negotiated rates to be displayed; I just want to billing to be done through UPS rather than Shopify for shipping costs.

Accepted Solution (1)
Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Print_2002,

This would not be possible, no. If you were buying and printing labels through Shopify this would be with our negotiated rates and you would be billed for these charges directly through Shopify. If you wanted to be charged for labels directly from UPS you'd need to do this with them directly, which would be externally from Shopify.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 12 (12)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @Print_2002,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. When you ask about being billed directly through UPS, are you referring to being billed by UPS for the purchase of shipping labels? If so, this is fine - you'd just need to buy the labels directly from UPS and handle this outside of Shopify. You'd then need to manually mark the orders as fulfilled within the Shopify admin, and you could include tracking numbers acquired from UPS in the shipment notification emails sent to customers. If you opted to buy the labels natively within Shopify, you'd be invoiced through Shopify and would be able to buy and print the labels directly via your admin.

In terms of the negotiated rates, this feature is indeed standard with the Advanced plan, however we do allow merchants on lower plans to use this feature as well with an additional monthly charge of $20 USD per month (or they can receive it for free if they switch to an annual billing cycle). This will allow you to connect your own UPS account to your Shopify store, so rather than using the UPS rates we offer as standard, these rates will display to customers at checkout instead.

I hope this has explained things but please do let me know if you've any further questions on this.

Kind regards,

Print_2002
Excursionist
22 0 25

@Victor 

Thank you for the useful information. My last question is in terms of integration. The ability to purchase labels and print labels within the Shopify admin while automating the sending of tracking is very useful. Is there anyway to connect our UPS account AND be billed directly through purchased UPS for labels all within the Shopify admin? Or must this always be done manually if choosing to be billed directly by UPS for labels?

Thanks!

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Print_2002,

This would not be possible, no. If you were buying and printing labels through Shopify this would be with our negotiated rates and you would be billed for these charges directly through Shopify. If you wanted to be charged for labels directly from UPS you'd need to do this with them directly, which would be externally from Shopify.

Kind regards,

Anindo
Shopify Partner
555 1 27

Yes, you can connect your UPS account and be billed directly through UPS for labels within the Shopify admin. This can be achieved using an app in which the admin has full control over fulfilment and the app should allow tracking numbers to be acquired through UPS automatically. You can check the Multi carrier Shipping label app for this exact purpose.

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
Moistbrisket
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, I was wondering if I can connect my FedEx account to shopify and print shipping labels using my own FedEx account number as well,  if I have a basic plan but elected to be billed on an annual basis?     

PluginHive
Shopify Partner
797 31 100

Hi @Moistbrisket,

Yes, you can do that with the FedEx Rates, Labels & Tracking app. You can integrate your own FedEx account and print labels for all your orders. The app also helps in handling the tracking process by automatically updating the Shopify orders with the FedEx tracking number. 

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
Cschwartz1
Visitor
1 0 0

I have the same question.

PCJosh
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Victor,

Are we able to connect our UPS account to Shopify solely for returns? We like our current checkout/billing process and wouldn't want to muddle with it further. The current displayed rates at our checkout are okay with us.

We would just like to keep track of returns within the Shopify environment using our UPS account, rather than having to cut labels outside of Shopify. This way, all of the relevant order/return info is in one place for us to view. 

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @PCJosh,

No, this would not be possible. In order to buy UPS return labels via the Shopify admin, you'll need to connect your own UPS account to Shopify and this account will then be used for label purchases as well. It is not possible to mix-and-match Shopify's own label purchase system with your own UPS account; in order to process UPS return labels you must also use your own account to purchase the original shipping labels.

It's worth noting that it also is not possible to purchase UPS return labels just using Shopify Shipping, and that a UPS account must be connected in order to do this. You can purchase return labels for USPS without connecting an account.

I hope this explains things but please let me know if you have further questions!

PluginHive
Shopify Partner
797 31 100

To handle FedEx shipping in Shopify, you can use the FedEx Rates, Labels & Tracking app. The app helps you automate FedEx shipping by displaying live FedEx rates at checkout, print FedEx labels in bulk for all your orders and also handle FedEx tracking.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Anindo
Shopify Partner
555 1 27

Just to add on top of my last reply, FedEx or UPS, any account can be connected by the app and the charging takes place like this. You would have to set up a payment method that would directly be connected to your UPS or FedEx account. For example, when you create a set of FedEx developer credentials for connecting the API, you will need to add your card into it so that if and when you go live, you will be charged from it. 

Product Owner @ PluginHive
user22
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I am trying to figure out of UPS tracking number using my own UPS account can automatically be populated into the Shopify system.