Connecting siteground Domain to Shopify no clue :(

Addel101
Tourist
5 0 0

Hello I’m new to Shopify but I already have my own domain with siteground, I been watching a ton of videos and following step by step but I have no idea how to connect the two. The only place I figure I could put the www for CNAME would be for the section that says name but after I put it says Duplicated CNAME entries are not allowed ? And there’s no other place for me to put it. Is letter me create an A record but nothing for CNAMe record, unless there’s something I’m doing wrong. And for A record days leave empty for root domain and I don’t know what to put there so I leave it blank because it I put @@it says invalid dns name. Could somebody please help

750C7D07-590F-46E8-BD6F-8107341EDE6E.jpeg

0 Likes
Qico
Tourist
3 0 1

same problem here got any solution already?

0 Likes
Judy_Wu
2 0 0

I have the same problem... when put "www" for CNAME in the section and it says Duplicated CNAME entries are not allowed. Please can someone help?

0 Likes
Qico
Tourist
3 0 1

What i did is when you look in the dns zone editor place, you will see A with your website behind it without the letters www 

this one you should edit to the ip 23.227.38.65

then next thing i did if i remember it good

there was another type A who has www.”yourwebsite” behind it so also your site but with the letters www

this one i deleted and made a type CNAME in place of this type A , like you have to do what they say and typed the letters www for the name and TTL 1 hour and the ipv4 adres shops.myshopify.com

then it should work

do not adjust any type A with mail,ftp,localhost,autoconfig or anything else just the one with the normal website without www and the Type A with the letters www you delete this one and make a cname in place of this Type A

Judy_Wu
2 0 0

Hi Qico,

Thank you very much for your reply. I think your suggestion would work, although I did something slightly different, and it seems to work so far.

This is what I did:

In the DNS zone editor,

1. I edited the ip to 23.227.38.65 for  "mywebsite" (without "www") under type A column.

2. I edited the ip to 23.227.38.65 for  "mywebsite" (with "www") under type A column.

That's all I did, it didn't work for a little while, then somehow it worked (doesn't make any sense to me, but it does work).

0 Likes
Qico
Tourist
3 0 1

I also had to wait a few minutes

but the difference between A type and cname is that a type is linked to an ip adres and the cname like the name already gives the answer links to another name

I think most of the time it will always work only with the ip adres only when the ip is not stable the redirection to your domain will probably not work

and the reason why you have www and without is i think sometimes you don’t type the www and if you fill it in correctly it automaticly links it but i’m not sure of that

i’m not a pro in this

More info i found on this link

https://support.dnsimple.com/articles/differences-between-a-cname-alias-url/

0 Likes