Connecting to Pinterest

KarenE
1 0 0

Reading tons of info on connecting to Pinterest!  I understand that once I connect to the app, Pinterest will sync to my catalog and start pinning different items???  I'm not sure if this is right, can someone please advise?  I would really like to have control of pinning my own items (I think).  Thanks for any feedback and help. KE 

0 Likes
Dana_Whitehead
5 0 0

Hi Karen - 

I probably cannot definitively answer your questions - as I am a shopify website owner, like you...  but I may be a little ahead of you on the new Pinterst integration path. 

There is verbiage in a couple places that states "pins are automatically created", and I think they are... kinda.

So to back up a little - i went ahead and setup the app in shopify, got the catalog synched over to pinterest...  I believe this integration is very new, and still may have some kinks.  It was relatively easy in the context of how difficult these things can be. To access the catalog(s) in Pinterest - it is through the "ads" dropdown.

1) when you look at a catalog item synched from Shopify to Pinterest, it does appear to be a "pin" as that is their default format for storing and displaying items.

2) My catalog has been up for a few days as of this writing.  I have a very unique item, with hardly any presence on Pinterest. lets say it's a "widget".  I chose this item as my "test", since it wouldn't get lost in a sea of similar items.

3) After 3 days of my catalog being synched over to Pinterest - I can search for my item "widget" as a generic user, and there are less than 30 hits total, but mine is not there (yet?).

4) So the pins are technically there, just not really published - maybe? yet? It could take some time? I have not found a "go" button on the Pinterest side to manually publish the auto created pins. You can create groups for items related/relevant to other items based on keywords etc, which I have done, but not sure what or when those auto pins get indexed formally.  I have NOT altered one of the pins and saved it, just because I want to see if indexing/publishing will happen on it's own. (but saving could be an activity that gets it out there?)  Maybe the autocreation of the pins is the "bait" to get you to create ad campaigns? Since the catalog entry is beneath "ads" in the menu.  Maybe an "autogenerated" pin does not mean a "published" pin?

Also - noticed that Pinterest is NOT selecting the first image from the listing as the pin image - which is a deal killer...  it is VERY random.  If you have 10 pics on your Shopify item, it's a toss of the dice which one will display on the pin, and I have seen no way to change the image on the pin other than just manually creating a new pin.  I have even tried putting the anchor image as the first and last image in Shopify, but Pinterest is so random on this, it's of little help.

Karen thanks so much for opening up this subject!!

PLEASE anyone feel free to weigh in here if you can further explain the intended results from synching catalog to Pinterest!

0 Likes
Dana_Whitehead
5 0 0

Karen ..  Just noticed you post was 11/2020 - so maybe you have gotten further ahead by now?  would love to hear if you have worked things out!

Dana

0 Likes