Contact

1 0 0

I’ve been trying to get in contact with this company but I’m getting nowhere. I wanted to make a website using this site using the name BrownGurlBoutique but it says the name was already taken on here. I’m a registered business name using this name I’m originally using Bigcartel but I want to switch over to Shopify. I’m not understanding why someone took this user and didn’t get licensed for it and now I can’t use this site because of it. Can someone please message me so that I can explain it better. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
141 12 19

Hey @BrownGurlBoutiq!

This is Finley from the Social Care team at Shopify.

I appreciate you reaching out. I'm sorry to hear that you've had difficulties contacting us and that the .myshopify.com URL you were hoping for isn't available.

The good news is that the .myshopify.com URL is not the same as your legal business name or your customer-facing domain name, and you can choose a different URL that's still available.

You can think of the URL as a username for your Shopify account because once you add your custom domain name, the .myshopify URL will no longer be visible on your website. You and any staff members will be the only ones to see it when logged into the backend of your Shopify admin like so:

20-11-xr0ez-t60u9.

You'll also need to share your .myshopify.com URL with us when you chat or email in, as we'll need it for authentication purposes.

Creating a Shopify account

So with all that said, you can create a Shopify account at any time if you'd like to migrate over.

If you enter in "Brown Gurl Boutique" with spaces in the Your Store Name section when you sign up, the spaces will show as hyphens in your URL. For example, brown-gurl-boutique.myshopify.com.

Or if you prefer a URL without hyphens, you can leave out the spaces and add an extra word to your store name, such as BrownGurlBoutiqueshop, as you can see here

20-11-vpbrn-3qu2e.

Does that clarify things for you? Please let me know if there are any details that I can delve into further.

Getting Started Checklist

Adding your legal business name and your custom domain name are some of the next steps listed in our Checklist for migrating to Shopify that I highly recommend going through!

This way, you can feel confident that you've taken all the steps you need when moving over to Shopify.

In any case, our team is here to help wherever possible, so feel free to let me know if I can help with anything here.

Otherwise, you can reach out to us via 
FacebookTwitter, Live Chat, Email, or post another forum for any other questions that may arise.

I hope you have a great day!

Finley | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes