Conversion rate stalled. Store slow. Store unavailble

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi Guys,

After a storming August, the performance of my store has dropped off a cliff since around 6th Sep 2020.

I have been monitoring site speed and this seems to have got slower, particularly on mobile.  I don't have many add-on apps (maybe 5).  The only thing I have done is : Move to the new Facebook Channel (I had Instagram and Facebook Shop previously and followed the instructions to migrate to the new FB Channel). I know the YOTPO script can slow down the page rendering and I have turned off the subscribe fly in from Klayvio.  I have particularly noticed a reduction in add to carts.  I have had customers tell me the site was sporadically unavailable (annoying as I had some FB Paid ads running).  I use the Free Debut theme but am thinking about changing a more advanced theme fro retail. I have also turned off accelerated checkout for Shoppay as this was causing some probs for some customers.  My store is https://bustermcgee.com.au/

I would be grateful for any feedback?

I am slightly sceptical about the Free Debut theme and how it my get automatically updated with new code...

Many thanks for reading,

ALEX

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
660 71 122

Hey @! How are you keeping?

Cal here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us. It's great to hear that your last month was strong, and I'm sorry to hear that there has been a drop-off in the last week or so. To offer more insight, we'd need to be aware of your promotional/marketing campaigns. Often if a business is relying on Facebook or Google ads they might see this dip from month to month, as they compete with other businesses to get in front of their audience. How long have you been running these marketing campaigns for this business? 

It's odd that your customers mentioned that the site was sporadically down. Did you notice this downtime from your admin? If not, then you could have been issues with your domain, if you have a third party domain provider, have you queried this with them in case there was some downtime on their end? 

In terms of site speed, my experience was a pleasant one. It is snappy across mobile and desktop. I do think that having unnecessary javascript on a theme is a bad idea, so if you have uninstalled a few apps, and not had their developers remove their injected code, I'd suggest installing a fresh copy of your theme. 

Debut, or any other Shopify theme, doesn't automatically update its code. In order to get the latest updates for any Shopify theme, you will need to manually download a copy of the theme. So you won't need to worry about that! 

Cal | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2
Thanks for the detailed reply Cal.

I was running Facebook ads for most of August for traffic and conversion purposes. I have had some running through September also, although I just paused these. I guess I was worried about lack of cart additions vs. August.

I have experienced slowest when logging into Shopify admin recently and also it has been unavailable on several instances.

I will be sure to check the redirection on the domain.

I have just removed one set of java script from an app which I had removed a while ago. I have been using Google Page speed insights to monitor this. Desktop seems fine, it is just mobile.

Thanks for the comment about the Debut theme and updates.

Appreciate your reply.

Have a good day,
Alex

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
660 71 122

You're very welcome. I'd suggest trying some alternative forms of marketing that has a direct reach to customers who are actively interested in your niche, have you considered influencer marketing? Or have you considered bloggers/influencers prior to this? Sometimes they are a great alternative to targeted ads when competition for ad space is high or you're just not getting the right type of traffic to your store. 

Cal | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes