Convincing Phishing Attempt

Highlighted
22 0 0

Hi Guys,

I am receiving emails nearly everyday from noreply@shopify.com with the subject "We need your help" the odd thing is when I expand the message headers it still shows it is from noreply@shopify.com so I was almost convinced it was real. I even expanded the message source and tracked the IP address which came back as Canada.

But I am convinced it is a phishing attempt as Shopify state they wont ever send anything like this by email, and also when I right click on the button in their email and check the destination is shows a shortcut url https://kbit.co/BsW56 which when pasted into a secure browser links to some Russian site.

The email is also from "Shopify Service" which doesnt sound right and the message is marked as **SPAM** by our email host company, there are also some anomolies on the message like unrecognised characters.

Screen shot of the email below:

Phish Attempt

Be safe guys! :-)

Regards

Charles

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
592 28 66

Hi there Charles!

Don here from Shopify!

Thanks for taking the time to post here on our merchant forums to let everyone know what you had encountered. :)

If you come across phishing attempts like these at any point you can forward the mail to safety@shopify.com so our security team can take a look at it.

As always, exercising some caution and good common internet sense is your best defence here.

We won't ever email you like this to ask you to enter your account details.

As long as you don't click through on any links or enter any account info in these situations you should be fine.

If you do ever suspect that someone may have gained access to your account you can contact us, 24/7, via our support site and we can help you look into it further.

By far the most important step you can take to secure your account here is to enable 2-factor authentication.

Thanks again for sharing this info here with our merchant community. :)

All the best!

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes