Correct format for importing products with variants... ?

Highlighted
3 0 0

I've formed my CSV file according to the instructions with a proper header and all the necessary columns. However, when attempting to import a single product with variants, I'm getting this error: "Option value provided for unknown options"

I find the CSV example provided to be rather cryptic. Do we include a line for the master product or just the variants? 

In this example, I'm attempting to import a single product called, 'Shirt' that comes in 3 colours and 3 sizes. In the first line, I define the master product and the option names. Is this correct?

Handle   Title   Option1 Name   Option1 Value   Option2 Name   Option2 Value   
shirt    Shirt   Color                          Size           
shirt    Shirt   Color          Red             Size           Small
shirt    Shirt   Color          Red             Size           Medium
shirt    Shirt   Color          Red             Size           Large
shirt    Shirt   Color          Blue            Size           Small
shirt    Shirt   Color          Blue            Size           Medium
shirt    Shirt   Color          Blue            Size           Large
shirt    Shirt   Color          Yellow          Size           Small
shirt    Shirt   Color          Yellow          Size           Medium
shirt    Shirt   Color          Yellow          Size           Large
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
41 0 6

Hi Kristin,

The format for entering the product variant in CSV files is as follows. I have used a sample product from my test store with a colour and shoes size option. I have also hidden the Body (HTMM), Vendor, Type, Tags and Published columns as you have in your screenshot so we can see the columns we're working on.

As you can see, the first line of the product has all fields filled in, we do not include a line for a *master product* as such. On subsequent lines you only need to fill in the Option Value as the Option Name will remain the same.

I'm going to send you over an email with my test product CSV  so that you can see how the other fields are filled out for variants too. If you need further help with your CSV, you can reply to the email.

Highlighted
2 0 0

Annette,

Can you also send the email to me with your test product CSV? I too am having the same "Option provided for unknown options" issue. I have gone in and removed the excess Option Name titles but am still getting the same error. Are there other adjustments that I need to make in my CSV in regards to variants before the file can be uploaded properly?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Annette,

Can you also send the email to me with your test product CSV? I too am having the same "Option provided for unknown options" issue. I have gone in and removed the excess Option Name titles but am still getting the same error. Are there other adjustments that I need to make in my CSV in regards to variants before the file can be uploaded properly?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Annette, could you please send me your sample template as I'm having a lot of trouble uploading multple images for one sku (back and front) and then variant images also with 2 views. I'll really appreciatte it!

0 Likes
Highlighted
13 0 0

Hi Annette, 

I am quite lost with this one. I tried the way you did it but I always seem to have mistakes. Would you send me your test template too?

Thanks

Marion

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Annette, 

I could need some help....Would you email me your sample test template too?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Annette,

Can you please email me your sample test templete?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi.. test template too please? Or maybe post it here? Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 2

I've spent a day trying to figure this one out. It would be awesome if this info weren't burried so deeply. Can it be made part of the instructions for importing products via csv? Those instructions are pretty detailed about adding multiple images to a product. That seems like an appropriate place to add this.

Just a thought.

Thanks!