Cost of goods sold field? Ever going to happen?

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 33

We take advantage of Shopify POS and Shopify Mobile, and use Shopify Payments. IF Shopify would find a way to add a cost field, per item variant. We wouldnt need any other program. all i need is a way to run an order report that would show me total sale, sales tax collected, cost of goods sold, and net profit. 

Seems too easy to make thi report happen. Are there any updates, or does anyone have a fix. I don't want to buy another program when it seems shopify should be able to run this. 

We do think Shopify is easy to use and have had no major issues, overall it has done well for us,  but this is a little fustrating.

19 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
15 0 14

Hey Kim!

So I can see your frustration, it is something that we have had feedback about and have a feature request growing as we speak :)

I have added your shop to the list as one that is interested in the change. At the moment we do not have an ETA, though if/when we make the addition it will show up in your admin Dashboard. 

12 Likes
3 0 0

KIM - what are you using now? I have seen about a dozen businesses ask for this and thought that's not a lot out of 80k, I am sure that over 50% of the SHOPIFY customers would use it - even pay an extra dollar or two a month for it. 

In the meantime, what have you been using?

Does Bigecommerce or volution have it? I'm new to ecommerce and shopify... should I go elsewhere? 

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 12

This field is indeed a must and I can't understand either how this would be difficult to implement for Shopify.

Please add me as interested in this change.

Cheers! 

3 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
733 0 50

Adding a Cost field in and of itself is relatively straightforward. Reporting cost accurately, though, requires more work. This is the best explanation I've found to date on the subject.

I'd love to hear what kind of cost tracking expectations you'd expect to see from Shopify?

I work for Shopify.
0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 12

I agree calculating cost of goods sold can be tricky and possibly off limits of shopify.

I can't speak for others but I'd be happy to have an "item cost" field per option value to know on a line per line basis the gross profit. My bet is it would suffice to most users, and that should be piece of cake to develop for you too.

Cheers!

8 Likes
3 0 0

Yeah, what that dude said. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
733 0 50

@Luis: when you say a line per line basis, do you mean each line item of an order? If so, is it okay that it likely won't be accurate if you have changes in cost pricing with existing inventory? 

I work for Shopify.
1 Like
Tourist
9 0 12

Very true. There's no real easy solution for this that would suit everyone, as to make it perfect, you'd also need to take into account the accounting rules the user was be using, eg, First in First Out, average price, or whatever. As I mentioned before, I think that's probably offlimits of Shopify's targets and more an accounting issue.

Then again, in our case (we use average price) the solution would be calculating outside Shopify, in our purchasing system, the average cost, and then modifying it accordingly when needed in the proposed fields.

As a matter of fact, we're actually planning to do this now, except we'll use the "bar code" field we don't use for anything else to at least have an idea on what we're making per product.

The real solution of course is to link, via SKU maybe, with the purchasing/accounting system and have it all done well, but I have a feeling many shops are on our shoes and either don't have the systems or the knowledge to do it and would be happy with such a simple solution.

On the other hand, I believe it's natural for Shopify to expand somehow into an (ok, maybe "mini") Enterprise system, or maybe there's even an App for that.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 12

Sorry I didn't actually answer your question. I mean in the Option Values product section.

I attach an screenshot now.

Apologies for my bad english also.

Cheers,

0 Likes