Cost of goods sold field? Ever going to happen?

Excursionist
16 0 9

Thanks, but yes that is exactly the work around that Shopify has suggested!

I understand that there are apps that offer this function and more. My point, along with so many others is that this should not require an app.

This is a basic need that is available on other platforms as standard.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
15 0 11

okay now 3 years later and still you guys have not been able to add COST OF GOODS, it seems crasy that something like COGS can be so hard for a system like shopify to include.. it really seems like you guys do not want to add it, as to many "app money" is connected to this!

But Shopify you really need to include COGS as standard in the system as COGS is a need to have for any business, and something we need to see, work with all the time. I know you can get a app, but then you have to go back and forward all the time and with more then 100 products or like us 4000 products its not workable - PLEASE!

3 Likes
Shopify Partner
195 0 11

Hi Jacob,

Shopify mentioned quite a while ago that due to the no. of variables and add-ons to cost prices globally, they weren't going to provide this capability. 

There are several solutions to this now Our app is heavy weight and we allow for rapid assigning of COGS across a large product file. We also generate purchase orders and markdowns and show your profitability across these. We are currently looking for Shopify shops with high SKU counts (preferably 5-10,000) so that we can stress-test our app for speed and performance. You'd be an ideal business by the sounds of it. We could give you extended free use of our app in return for joining our beta community.

You're welcome to give us a try. I've just emailed our beta users, requesting a few volunteers for the stress test ahead of our Autumn launch.

You just have to click our logo above and fill in our form saying something like 'interested to join early test'.

Best wishes in any case.

Karen

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3992 13 316

The heavy weight App that chews through 5 SKU's with ease during stress tests... phew.. the sweat pouring from those poor multicore CPU's.. 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
195 0 11

So that's 5,000 - 10,000 Hunky Bill

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 3

We now use LightSpeed POS on the retail side. A little more expensive but works great. We use shopify for some online sales where COGS isnt an issue for the products we are selling. 

Screenshot is of how LS does it (and they have all of the same variable aspects as shopify just viewed this is a necessity. When you receive a purchase order and put in the shipping costs and discount percentages and confirm matches the invoice it automatically creates a bill in QB (no entering the PO on POS and then creating the bill in QB.)

When I inquired about this a couple years ago they said they felt COGS was an accounting issue not a point of sale issue.

Feel this should be native and not done through an app. Love the ease of use and online functionality of Shopify just wish they would build this into shopify. Until then sticking with lightspeed.

3 Likes
Excursionist
16 0 9

Having moved over from Big Commerce recently i was annoyed to find out that COGS was not a standard field on every product page.

I realise there are apps that provide this field and so much more, but i don't want any off the other stuff just s standard COGS field on all products.

For me this is not about accounting. I need to be able to look at a product and see what it cost me to purchase wholesale. I don't want to have to go find the invoice from 6 months ago to find this information, nor do i want to have to switch to an app each time i need this information.

This is a stock standard field on all other platforms i have been on.

When i have spoken to support about it, the response i get is either to use the SKU field or 'oh no one has ever asked for that before'.

Seriously, does anyone at Shopify even read their own forum and respond to the needs of their paying customers.

Hunky Bill, please refrain from responding to my question.

3 Likes
Shopify Partner
15 0 11

Hi,

We have been using VendHQ for many years before and only moved to shopify as to the more advanced online platform that Shopify offer, but most really say I do not buy the reason from Shopify. This function is handel by so many apps and almost all other CMS systems like shopify, so the only reason can be the $ made on apps.

We use a custom version of Delirious Profit and yes we get great support and the system works really well, but as @Raegan Coleman say, we need to be able to check and control the COGS all the time, today we have to look up the product 2 places and that just is a issue. Also a bigger issue is with new items, we get maybe 20-100 every month, items that we need to enter the COGS for in the app and not in the same process as when we enter them in Shopify. People with more then 50 items will agree to this being a big issue and something that will make Shopify a lot better system if it was include like in VendHQ, Woocommerce and other systems like this.

Hope people will keep posting like all the time about this, so that Shopify can include this 1 field and make Shopify a lot better.

@The Prosperous Shop thanks for the offer, but we use Delirious Profit to day and do not what to pay for anymore app.. Shopify just take to many apps to cover things that I see as something that is to be included and we are just waiting for VendHQ to update the online platform, to be more like Shopify and we will move back, if COGS is not before included in Shopify as standard.

/jacob

2 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
265 0 21

I just have it in my backoffice ordering system where it should be. Are people really trying to run businesses with just Shopify and nothing else?

0 Likes
Excursionist
16 0 9

I didnt need anything else with Big Commerce, so yes i am.

0 Likes