Cost of goods sold field? Ever going to happen?

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 11

Can we please have something as simple, basic and vital as a COST field on our admin product pages?

Is it asking too much to have the abilty to input one of the most crucial values for each product in our catalog?

Getiing back to the intial posting in this thread, just enable me to enter my wholesale cost and give me basic repoting functionality to do what the first post requests:

"all i need is a way to run an order report that would show me total sale, sales tax collected, cost of goods sold, and net profit."

If we choose to purchase an app to deleve deeper into COGS, that is our option.

I love Shopify in many ways, but as I spend more time building my store, I am shocked by the abscence of so many basic features such as this. We should not have to rely on costly apps for the our most basic needs.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 10

I have to believe that if we keep asking and enough people add to this they will eventually respond...love seeing more activity on this thread!  So simple to add and such a huge bonus for US, your clients!

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 11

HOW ABOUT SOME FEEDBACK FROM SHOPIFY REGARDING THIS ISSUE?

This thread was initiated in January 2014. The last feedabck from a Shopify employee was in February 2014. The thread continues to receive ongoing requests for this feature currently in July 2015. If you search, there are other threads requesting this feature dating back several years.

An update on this topic from Shopify is long past due. And no tap dancing maybe, and or if vague replies. IS SHOPIFY GOING TO IMPLEMENT THIS FEATURE OR NOT?

Thank you.

4 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 4

I'm with everybody else on this. I add new and different products to my shop on an almost daily basis. I need a simple, integrated solution for COGS. I don't want to have to rely on an outside app with multiple steps to monitor my profits. I looked into Profiteer and I'm sure it's great, but it's just more work. I'm considering other options unless Shopify impliments something soon.

4 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 3

I am still using QB point of sale but wanted to switch to a cloud based system that can do both online and in person. 

QB pos has done a great job with the cogs aspect (not so great in other areas) and saves a ton of time with accounting. Essentially each item has an order cost (default wholesale cost the user sets) and user then receive items through QB POS receiving. By default the order cost is set for each item but can be edited. In addition you can put in order discounts (overall amount or % that can be spread over whole order or kept as it's own line item ) and shipping costs which can be spread over whole order or kept separate. This is all then sent to qb so don't have to enter bills and get very accurate reports from within pos. 

Something like this would be really helpful.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 3

Plus one for SHOPIFY PLEASE ADD A COGS FEATURE!!!

As suggested, we direly need a "variant" option that will not be displayed to the customer for purposes of keeping track of how much we are paying for products. Profiteer is likely what I will be using instead, but I am extremely unhappy that I am paying top $$ for Shopify and now have ANOTHER monthly expense to simply keep track of my cost of goods.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 3

We would greatly benefit from having a COGS field at the product level. Right now we are using Profiteer. It's a bandaid for now since it's a very disjointed system. 

Please, Please, Please add this field. (pretty please)

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
4132 29 384

Sorry Dustin? What is disjointed about Profiteer? Please elaborate a little. Thanks

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 3

It's not tied directly to the individual product since you have to manage COGS via another CSV file.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
4132 29 384

If you are editing a product, and you click the top right link [...] for Cost of Goods Sold, you are presented with a grid showing all your COGS, selling prices and inventory levels, hence cost of inventory too. At this time, that is as embedded as you can get with Shopify. Has zero to do with CSV files. 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes