Cost per item, hidden from staff

rainwater
Excursionist
16 0 13

Hello, I am thankful the cost per item is part shopify now. I really do not like my staff knowing all my profit or "cost per item" for my products. In business, you always have to be concerned about your competition. Giving your employees all the information you have worked so hard to build could be a problem. Simply making the cost per item hidden or shown under the permission section would solve this. I really wish this feature would be added. 

SobefyOscar
Shopify Partner
113 11 30

I can understand why you would want to avoid having your competition get access to your costs and profits, however, part of running a business is assuming all possible risks. In my opinion, paranoia and micromanaging can sometimes damage your business more. Focus on vetting all of your employees, and make sure you hire people that you trust. Have policies in place including non-disclosure and non-compete agreements. If you feel like you need to hide everything from your employees, then you should not have those people as employees in the first place ;)

Good luck, 

Want to customize or make changes to a theme? Hire me.
If my answer was helpful please Like and Accept Solution.
Email: oscar@sobefy.com
0 Likes
rainwater
Excursionist
16 0 13

This is a simple edit to staff permission access. It is about Shopify. I do not disagree with your advice. It is not common for all employees from all companies to know all the employer's cost. Call me paranoid but It is my company and I want to be able to share what information I want to be shared.  

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
2588 134 445

You should examine if you even need to store privileged information in the shopify admin as it isn't built or intended to be a granular access system.

@rainwater wrote:

This is a simple edit to staff permission access.

Yes you can control that at the product level by turning off that staff accounts permissions to access products.

Of course this means they cannot handle products in any way via the shopify admin.

Beyond that to micromanage access to specific properties you would need an app to store such info remotely and not use the properties accessible in the basic admin,  such as cost per item on products.

You can always submit a feature request to support@shopify.com

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Harel
Shopify Partner
36 0 2

Hey there!

At Staffy- Staff Management App for Shopify we're currently developing new features regarding staff permissions/restrictions - in order to achieve maximum usability without being exposed to sensitive data.

If you would like to check our current feature - we would be more than happy to hear what you think!

A Shopify merchant.
Founder of @Staffy (https://apps.shopify.com/staffy) - Employee management platform for Shopify.
0 Likes
JosQuestions
1 0 0

Hi there - Did the Staffy App provide you with a solution to 'hiding the cost price from employees'?

0 Likes
rainwater
Excursionist
16 0 13

I had to add another app. So another never ending monthly fee. Profiteer - cost of goods app. It is a pain to use and would be so easy for shopify to add this to permissions. 

rainwater
Excursionist
16 0 13

That is your opinion, not mine...

0 Likes
rainwater
Excursionist
16 0 13

Thanks for the advice about who I should hire and how I should run my business but that has nothing to do with Shopify.

JessicaBulldog
Tourist
3 0 1

I see this is an old thread now but wondering if anything has changed or if you came up with a solution to this issue? I too would like to give my staff access to restocking my exchanges and returns as well as adding new shipments to the inventory without having them see the “cost per item”. TIA.

Jessica