How can I create a country-specific discount code in Shopify?

LumberjackBeard
Tourist
9 1 2

Hi,

I know currently this isn't a function that can be applied when creating discount codes in Shopify, but I'm looking to create a discount code that applies only to customers from a specific country (UK).

I also know I can set up a discount code for specific groups of customers, but that relies on them having an account and being logged in for that to work.

Is there a way that I could to take advantage of Shopify's own Geolocation app for example to apply a specific discount code based purely on the customers IP address should they be from the UK?

Or does anyone else have another workaround that would enable this to work?

I am aware of certain apps that have this functionality built in, and am currently using one such app on a free plan, but my issue with that is that the apps I've tried don't allow for a Shopify Automatic Discount which I'd also like to take advantage of in store for all users.

Thanks,

Mark

Replies 9 (9)

HelpfulHuman
13 0 0

You can limit the discount to a customer group.

To set that up, just go to Discounts, select "Add Discount" in the top right, then change the "All Orders" dropdown to "Customer in a group" and select "From Canada" as that customer group.

As long as you have had at least one customer from each country, you can create new customer groups for the countries you are interested in:

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/customers/manage-customers#create-customer-groups

27-50-7uqch-kzaan

I think these apps also provide this country discount feature

LumberjackBeard
Tourist
9 1 2

I am aware of that option, but as I mentioned in my question, that relies entirely upon the customer having an account and being logged in for the country specific discount to then be applied. It doesn't work for all visitors from that specific country so therefore doesn't work for my needs.

I know of the apps as well, and am currently using Discount Ninja, but they don't allow for their discount codes to work in collaboration with Shopify Automatic Discounts so I'm looking for a workaround to that issue as well. 

HelpfulHuman
13 0 0

Gotcha. Sorry I missed those details.

LumberjackBeard
Tourist
9 1 2

No worries. It turns out Shopify had made alterations to how you set up a 'Buy X Get Y' discount code without me knowing, so as my issue was directly related to the currency exchange rate padding that is set NOT being applied to discount codes when currency is converted, it was easily resolved by simply changing my discount code from a fixed amount of the cost of one item (which I had to do as previously you couldn't set a maximum number of times the 'Buy X Get Y' would be allowed to be used per order each time it became eligible) to a 'Buy X Get Y' discount with a maximum number of uses per order of 1.

After 4 days of racking my brain trying to create code for this myself and failing, I'm glad there was an easy solution in the end.

I'd still love to know if there is a code-based solution to this though if anyone else has any ideas or input?

Thanks,

Mark

Swiss23
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi

Can I set up a discount code for a specific country? I need it to be depending on shipping address and not on the IP.

I want to give a discount only for orders that are ordered to France. 

All the apps I checked work with IP, so if someone makes an order with a french IP he gets a discount even if he orders it to the UK and that's not good for me.

Strongly appreciate any advice. Thank you.

dardacats
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello - were you able to find a workaround to your challenge? currently facing something similar. 

Swiss23
Tourist
4 0 2

I didn't. In the end we gave a free shipping discount to the specific country we wanted to give a discount.

I searched all different apps and that's the only discount type I found, Shopify is giving an option it to be depending on shipping destination country.

If you find a way of giving a percentage or fixed discount with option of limiting it to specific shipping destination country, I would be very happy to hear.

daxon
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Found a solution. In the shipping rates of custom or calculated you can add a 'handling fee' which you can set to negative say -5.00 and it will apply to the shipping per country. see the docs: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/shipping/setting-up-and-managing-your-shipping/setting-up-shippin...

Swiss23
Tourist
4 0 2

By us when selecting 'Use carrier or app to calculate rates' it says 'There are no carriers or apps available for this zone.' It might only work in the United States.