Country settings

Solved
Tourist
13 0 1

Hi Ava

Thanks again - you're very helpful!

I did narrow the countries down in shopify versus the rest of the world based on a top 20 list of best selling countries. So that means I need to change that filed for every country (20) I want to ship to yeah?

Also if I was shipping to the rest of the world, surely I wouldn't need to change that setting in oberlo for every country would I?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
505 26 70

Hey, Claude!

The “selling to” is a filter for merchants to check what products are available for the country they need to ship to. It shows what products are available for that destination to make sure delivery is  possible

If you wanted to sell products to specific countries (for example, 20 best selling countries you mentioned) you would need to check if your chosen products are available for those countries. You can do that by checking the product’s pages (delivery options).

The majority of suppliers don’t ship worldwide, since some destinations are not efficient enough and post offices are not well developed. Some suppliers can send products to the top 20 countries only and some to many more. So it’s better to check all options just before starting a marketing campaign! 

Have you decided on what kind of products you wanted to sell? Finding a product can be tricky sometimes, it can be hard to decide what the best product is to sell. We have a guide here that will help you make an informed decision. After you have found a product to sell, you will need to find the right audience for the product to make sure you are aiming your marketing strategy in the right direction. We have a great article here about identifying your audience so you can cater your advertising towards them.

Let me know what you think! 

Ava

Social Care Guru | support@shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
13 0 1

Thx again Ava!

I have read those articles and they very informative.

Yes I've picked some niche products to begin with.

I think I'm getting myself confused though with a few things.

Firstly, you and I agreed to leave the "selling" currency in EUR as I'm currently living in Italy and the conversion from other currencies will hurt me. What's confusing me is who to sell to? Because I live in Italy, do I sell to only to Italy? Setting a country to sell to is what's confusing me most. If I want to sell to the USA, where does the rest of the world come into it - is it thru marketing?

So I guess I'm not sure whether to sell to Italy (because I live there) or the USA because it's a bigger market?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
505 26 70

Hey again, Claude!

Thanks for the reply. The market you sell to would depend on the type of product you are selling. Do you think your products would be more popular with US customers, or Italian customers? If you weren't sure about the market, you could always do some research using Google Trends to check for the popularity of a product. We have a great guide here on how to use Google Trends to its fullest potential. We also have a guide here about identifying your audience so you can cater your advertising towards them.

What I could suggest as a plan is to experiment with your audience. You could sell to both the US and Italy, but aim your marketing to The US for one month then towards Italy the following month. After that, you could look over your reporting and assess the sales you make and see if you seem to be making more sales with a specific country. You could then decide which country has a stronger audience with your product and decide to sell there.

If, for example, you find the US to be a more lucrative market, you can still sell to Italy if you like! If you find products that are only available to Italian customers when you search via the 'selling to' setting in Oberlo, you can add a note in the product description that says 'only available in Italy', and vice versa with the US. I'm sure if you have a search around you could find products available in both countries.

Marketing niche products can be different from a regular marketing strategy. There is an article here from our blogs that can give you some inspiration though!

I know there are a lot of links there, lots of information to get through. Have a read through them in your own time and let me know what you think :)

Ava

Social Care Guru | support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

can't select country for setting the shipping rates on debut theme

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
505 26 70

Hey, @ChrisRob!

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty here. Can you go into more detail on how you are setting up your shipping? Are you creating a shipping rate with a shipping profile or without one? Could you show me a screenshot of where you are trying to select the country? The more information you can give me, the better I can help!

Speak soon!

Ava

Social Care

0 Likes