Crawling Shopify stores returns HTTP error 430

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Hi, 

We do crawl some of Shopify stores (with owners consent) for our business. Recently we noticed that crawling those stores returning HTTP error 430. I wonder if Shopify have started actively blocking crawling attempts. 

1 Like
1 0 0

Hi,

We are also receving same error (430) in our dialy crawl process. In our product feed, we are getting this error for almost 70% of our product URLs. Is that realted to crawl rate limit? If that is the case, it should be the 429 error code as per Shopify doc.

Any more info on this?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi -

It is indeed related to crawl rate - I've tried this today with Screaming Frog.

Go to configuration > Speed and set the Max Threads to 1.

I tried the Max Threads set to 2, but the errors start populating even at 2 threads.

Enjoy your painfully slow crawl! A giant pain in the ass for an SEO audit.

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 2

Got a great explanation about this from Tier 2 tech support at Shopify about the many 430 (server run-time errors) showing in my SEOProfiler.com bot crawl of my shopify store ( SEOProlifer uses a bot which crawls and reports all kind of SEO stuff, very nice tool for a one-person shop).

BACKGROUND: About 2 weeks ago I started getting 'error 430, server error) for my site which had been consistently clean. First I asked SEOProfiler to examine the cause of the 430's as I (nor my coder guy) touched anything on the site in the theme etc, only making a few small HTML changes to products and info pages, nothing else changed during the time the 430's started showing up.

THEN, took the issue to Shopify and had a few back and forths with chat level tech support. After the 3rd round I asked to be bumped up (escalated) to next level of tech support.  Within 24 hours here's what they explained to me:

Emily (Shopify)

Jun 4, 22:52 EDT

Hi *******

I'm Emily, from Shopify's technical support team. Beth let me know about the problem you're having with 430 errors when you use SEO Profiler. I've looked into this for you and I have some more information about it.

The 430 error is happening because you're getting too much traffic on your site from the same IP, much too quickly, so we're blocking it temporarily for security reasons. It makes a lot of sense that you could see this error when you're using a service like that to check your site, because that is exactly what is happening: a ton of requests are coming through to your site, very quickly, all from the same IP.

The good news is, that error does not indicate there are any SEO problems with your shop. It also does not affect your customers' shopping experience in any way.

To avoid getting that error, you'll need to run the test more slowly.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns about this.

Kind regards,

Emily
Tier 2 Support

-----------
So, my next step is to share this email with SEOProfiler and hope they can adjust the speed of their crawls. Anyway, since this maddening problem cost me alot of time (but fortunately ended good in that there were no real problems with my site coding) thought I'd lay this out here for others.

2 Likes
1 0 0

Thankyou !! I needed this too.

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 2

Follow up: I changed the delay time in SEOProfiler bot to 30seconds. No 430s after that. Just figure out how many pages total in your site and calculate so that all pages (or whatever limit you have, mine's 500) can be crawled within a 24 hr period. Also, it helps to use the google webmaster feature and you can see google's errors during their routine crawl of your site. a bit redundant but it's good to have the 2 bot results to compare imo.

0 Likes
Excursionist
76 0 10

Hi Yoko - Just wanted to add my thanks to you for resolving this one. I too have had the same issue over the past couple of months' crawls (using two separate tools) but found virtually nothing in the way of an explanation until I saw your post. Thanks again.

0 Likes
51 0 0

Thx Yoko :)

0 Likes
6 0 0

Thank you! I couldn't understand that either. 

0 Likes

I just commented on a separate post with two different solutions to this problem. Here's a direct link to the solution...

https://community.shopify.com/c/Ecommerce-Marketing/429-Errors-and-Crawl-Delay/m-p/487388/highlight/...

Hope this helps!

1 Like