Crazy amounts of spam in blog post comments

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 2

Could someone please advise me what to do about the amount of spam in my comments. It happens without visitors present. The spam is connected to past customers accounts. I know zero about computer stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated. Usually comes in groups of 50.

Thanks so much! Pam

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
713 68 140

Hey there, @pjmmpls 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

I am really sorry to hear that you have been experiencing this level of spam, I can imagine how frustrating this is for you. I did some digging into this and found that adding Disqus to your blog could be the best way to deal with this. Disqus is a free discussion platform. Disqus encourages social engagement and traffic to your website as well as improving your SEO. This can be used alternatively to our native comment feature.

The system integrates perfectly with Shopify, however, the moderation of comments, comment removal, analytics etc are all done through the Disqus platform. You can take a look at our tutorial on setting that up here. This is an advanced tutorial and is not supported by Shopify. Knowledge of web design languages such as HTML, CSS, Javascript and Liquid is required. We suggest hiring a Shopify Expert if you are not comfortable proceeding with the following tutorial. 

It is great to hear that you have a blog though - a lot of stores don't! SEO can play a huge part in bringing in sales and potential customers and the key to SEO is understanding what your customers will be looking for and ensuring your site is set up to best manage the products and content they are seeking. I know how hard it can be to consistently come up with content/audit the content you do have. I would recommend taking a look at HubSpot's free content marketing course here and become certified! 

Be sure to get your store ready for BFCM! Check out our BFCM toolkit to make sure you are ready for the busiest season of the year. 

All the Best,

Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 2
Hi Bo,
thank you for your response. I looked into that app and it is not free. It
looks as if the majority of the spam is coming from the customer page, as
in they sign up to be a customer and spam my blog posts. I have been
deleting them as fast as they come in. They dump about 50 comments at a
time. Is there a spam filter with my subscription rate?
Thank you, Pam
1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
713 68 140

Hey again, @pjmmpls 

Shopify does have CAPTCHA technology present on forms such as the newsletter or customer account sign-ups, however they will only generate when multiple attempts to enter data into the field are made from the same IP - having it appear by default would make it more difficult for real customers to enter information into forms, which of course is something we'd want to avoid.

However, there is an app called Shop Protector which offers added protection against spam sign-ups, amongst some other security-related features. The app costs $4.99 a month and comes with a 14-day free trial so you can install it and test it out for a couple of weeks before you are charged anything. I'd recommend checking out the app page for a full breakdown of what it offers, plus you can also read some reviews to see how other merchants who use the app feel about it.

Let me know how this goes and if there is anything else I can assist you with, I'm happy to help!

All the Best,

Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes