Create Draft Order from a public online order

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hi I understand draft orders can be created from the admin. But is there a way to have the public store create a "draft order" when a specific product is ordered on our store? The reason why I want this is I have a product that needs us to communicate with the buyer before we process the order.  So we need to amend some info to the order before we accept the order.

Alternatively we just need a way to manually review an order before it is processed. 

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
239 9 52

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, there.

Morgan here from the Social Team at Shopify.

Thanks for reaching out on the forums for some insight into your order options. There's two main ways I think this can be handled. However, depending on the amount of editing the order requires after reaching out to the customer, some options may be better than others. Here's what I was able to come up with:

1. Setting up payment authorization rather than capturing payments right away:
The option to change your credit card processing steps is a great way to ensure no orders go through without your approval first. The orders will come in, but the credit card will simply be authorized and not captured. This makes it easier to amend or cancel orders since the payment hasn't gone through yet.

One question for you: Do you need all your products to have this, or do you only want some to have this "payment later" feature? This is something to consider when choosing an option, as the "payment authorization" option would only be possible as an "all or nothing" method. The other can be adjusted to just certain products.

If this sounds like it may work for you, this guide will walk you through how to adjust the payment authorization.

2. Rearranging the product page to show a "request order" button rather than an "add to cart":

You can replace the Add to cart button with an email link or a contact form. For example, you might want to replace the Add to cart button to add a form for them to reach out to you, and then you can create a custom draft order for the customer. This way you don't lose any of the interested traffic going to your store (if you only offer draft orders), but still have the ability to customize the order as needed. Here's the steps on how to do that.

Both of these should offer a possible solution to what you're looking for. However do let me know if you have any questions on the options!

Cheers,
Morgan | Shopify Social Team

Morgan | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Thanks for all the information! This helps!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
239 9 52

No problem at all! 

Feel free to let us know what you end up going with and how it worked out for you! There might be other businesses looking for a similar option. 

All the best,
Morgan | Shopify Social Team 

Morgan | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi, with the solution it applies to the complete Array of products, is there an option to segregate the products display based o the user as some customers can be one time purchase and other can be wholesale B2B. I am trying to provide the customers ability to create draft orders without impacting the cart. 

Secondly is it possible to keep the add to cart button alongside?

0 Likes