Creating Customer Groups from a Specific Product

noahward
1 0 3

Hi There! 

I'm having trouble creating a group of customers through the customer group function, that have purchased one specific product, so I can then create a custom discount code for those customers who have purchased this product.

Is anyone aware of a way to do this?

Cheers, 

JosephQuartana
Tourist
3 0 2

I would love to know how to do this too, even an app recommendation!

ThomasBeckman
2 0 0

Still hoping someone finds a solution to this or I'm going to have to figure out how to write and implement my own code in Liquid to accomplish what seems like an obvious and basic organizational task.

0 Likes
JosephQuartana
Tourist
3 0 2

Klaviyo, as an email solution, actually does this.  You can create a list or segment (ongoing list) of any person who has purchased any product or combination of, inorder to market specifically for them.  Klaviyo also allows creation of discount lists, so as an app solution, this is it! 

0 Likes
ThomasBeckman
2 0 0

We actually use Klaviyo and the only issue here is that there it not an automated way to get that organization back to Shopify from Klaviyo, if that makes sense.

i.e.

Yes, you can organize and create the lists in Klaviyo, but those organizational units are not passed to Shopify in any way, and there is no automated way to do this. Your customer list in Shopify remains uncategorized.

However, today I was able to incorporate Shopify flows for a half-solution. I created a flow that will tag customers who complete and order containing items with an sku containing a category specific code, and/or containing items from a collection. THEN I can create a customer filter to select people with that tag and access them as a group using the filter.

This is not a 100% solution as it does not backdate customers with the tag since it can only be triggered by new orders. 

Our purpose was the limit/prohibit the usage of discounts by outside sources, so the intent was to set discounts up in a way that they're only available to certain customer groups based on past purchase of specific products. I am still shocked by the limitations and difficulty I encountered in multiple parts of this endeavor. Crazy tbh. 

0 Likes
JosephQuartana
Tourist
3 0 2
Brilliant solution on your part! That's a good idea!

And sorry I meant Klaviyo is a partial solution too as it requires of
course that you then use Klaviyo to get any use out of that particular
segment...