Creating a digital product membership

Highlighted
4 0 0

I sell digital products in my store, and am in the process of migrating from another shopping cart. I have one product which is an annual membership, when a customer purchases it, they get access to download any product in the store at no additional charge for a full year, including any products that are added during the year. I am trying to figure out the easiest way to do this in shopify and make the process smooth and painless for my customers. Does anyone else do this?

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
364 6 71

Hey Nancy!

I do have a bit of a work-around which should be able to achieve the desired outcome. First, you will need a subscription app to handle recurring billing. I've tested and played around with pretty much all of the subscription apps on the app store, and the one I would recommend going with is the PayWhirl app

Within the PayWhirl app - when you go to create your subscription plan/product - there's an option to assign a customer tag to those who purchase the membership. You'll want to set this customer tag option before proceeding to the next step.

Once you have a subscription app setup, you'll need a wholesale app to support the ability for the subscriber/member to purchase any and all products for free. I would recommend using the Customer Pricing app for this and then setting up a customer group - based on the tag you set up in the subscription app - so that all customers with that tag get 100% off. 

As far as supporting digital downloads - for either members or regular customers - I would recommend the free Digital Downloads app or if you're looking for a few more extra features, go with the Send Owl app.

Hope this helps,

★ Did my post help? If yes, then please like and accept solution. ★

→ Have me build your Shopify store @ stephens.world
→ Get your FREE 30-Step Setup Guide @ stephens.world/guide
→ View My Official Expert Profile @ stephens.world/expert
→ Want to buy me lunch? stephens.world/lunch

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi there,

I am looking into a similar service subscription too. Would like to know the same information as yourself.

@Nancy_Murray wrote:

I sell digital products in my store, and am in the process of migrating from another shopping cart. I have one product which is an annual membership, when a customer purchases it, they get access to download any product in the store at no additional charge for a full year, including any products that are added during the year. I am trying to figure out the easiest way to do this in shopify and make the process smooth and painless for my customers. Does anyone else do this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
56 0 3

Hey Nancy! Great post. This is a huge decision and I wanted to share my $0.02...

Why are more brands switching to, or at least offering this model? We’ve noticed a few patterns. First, businesses are focusing on customer lifetime value, as it guarantees monthly revenue. This makes budget projections more accurate for the marketing team, as that’s income their brand can count on. It’s every CMO’s dream!

From the audience perspective, subscription commerce customers are also coming from a generation that cherishes convenience. Amazon has trained us well. If there is a product that somebody would be buying frequently anyway, subscription brands have not taken one more step out of the process. What’s not to love?

Another reason many brands have incorporated the subscription model is because of a broader value proposition. The excitement element of gifting comes into play. Certain customers might gift a monthly box to themselves, others might gift the subscription to a friend or loved one. But either way, somebody is looking forward to getting something in the mail on a regular basis. Now more than ever. Even if it only cost ten dollars a month, it still sparks joy. Does your product accomplish that?

Lastly, what’s fascinating about the subscription trend is, customers are getting more and more comfortable having products shipped to them more frequently. Which means they are more and more comfortable with the brands themselves. That’s why we’re seeing companies center their marketing around customer loyalty and around quality. Mediocre products don’t bring customers back each month, so this incentivizes companies to make the products better. If you look at the various subscription commerce brands out there, most are highly specialized. It makes sense for this new business model, and it’s ultimately better for the customer.

Anyway, we blogged about this today if you'd like to read more tactics: https://bit.ly/2S1klFP

Hope that helps! Good luck to ya

CEO of Metric Digital @ www.metricdigital.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Nancy... I know this was a while back but curious if you got a membership store up and going

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Stephen... It was 2017 when you wrote that, would you still recommend those apps currently in 2020?

0 Likes