Creating a new theme on a live site

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hello there everyone,

I'm sure this has been asked before so I apologise, I had little luck with searching.

I have a Shopify site for a friend that needs a refresh, it currently has a very grotty old theme from the first days! My problem is, I want to develop it without causing too much disruption - in a perfect world, I'd be able to create the new site in a kinda development mode (so able to preview it with her data), but not visible on live until I publish it.

Is this possible at all, as currently I'm looking at creating a new fresh site (but then I only have 14 days before I have to pay for it!)

I hope this makes sense to someone :)

Thanks.

Andy.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
13 0 1

Hello, Andy!

Fiachra here from Shopify.

So the best option for you would be to duplicate the theme you are currently working on, and then make any edits you require on the unpublished duplicated theme. We have a document which walks you through duplicating themes if you would like to check it out!

This will prevent any disruption to the site itself, once you have finished making the edits you can then publish the theme.

To publish a theme:

From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Themes.

1. Scroll down to find installed themes that are not published.

2. Find the theme you want to publish and click Actions:

3. Find the theme you want to publish and click Actions:

4. Click Publish.

This "duplicate" option is very helpful when making a change to your site, as this way, you will always have a copy which you can then return to if you were to make any mistakes!

As you mentioned that you were looking at making some edits to the theme, I believe this document on using the theme editor should be useful for you.
I would suggest checking out our theme store as well in relation to the new site you are creating.

We have a fantastic selection of free themes, and there is also a wide selection of paid themes, if you would like to check them out!

There is also the option to preview a paid theme before you purchase it, if you want to check out what it will look like on your site! 

I hope that was helpful, if you have any other questions please reply in this thread and I would be happy to take a look.

Fiachra B | Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi Fiachra,

Many thanks for the quick response. I didn't realise I could add a theme and work on it in an unpublished state, that does exactly what I need.

Thanks again.

Andy.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello,

I'm currently working on a client's website to update the existing page templates. I've duplicated a new theme but when I make a change, I've noticed it goes live whenever I save. Is there a way to duplicate the theme and unpublish the entire site version? 

Thank you!

0 Likes