Creating discount code for only 1 product in cart

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hello!

We are going to be running a special that will allow customers to pick a free product. Is there a way to create a discount code that allows 100% discount on only one product in the cart? It also can only be used once per person. 

Any Ideas? Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
141 0 15

Hi Josh,

Brian here from the Shopify support team.

This free gifts app might be exactly what you are looking for - https://apps.shopify.com/freegifts.

Take a look and see what you think :)

Kind regards,

Brian
Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hey Brian!

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortuately, I don't think that app will work. We've looked into using Scripts as well.

Here's a little more in depth:

Running a promo for 100% off a product of your choice - 

We'd need them to be unique codes, one time use only, and available only for one product (but they get to pick the product). 

It's essentially 100% off the lowest price item in your cart (or the only item in your cart) but definitely not the entire cart. 

We've walked through a few ideas and it's for sure possible in Shopify POS but we're racking our brains on how we'd offer this online too. 

The biggest problem is we don't know what product or size the customer is going to pick. We thought about trying to give 100% off a product in a given collection but thought of these problems: 

1) We'd have to figure out how to only allow one product to get the 100% off, not any more and not the whole order

2) We'd have to build all separate products and assign to the collection separately since if we didn't it would be triggered also for normal users buying the products. Example: 

A bag is in the following collections: 

- Women's 

- Bags

- Festival 

- Summer

Customer A has the 100% off collection Festival code and picked the bag. If the customer has more items in their cart currently, they'll get 100% off the entire order, not just the one item. 

or, if we figure out how to restrict it to only one product can be purchased,

Customer B doesn't have a code, finds the bag and a ring, goes to checkout, won't be able to because the bag is in the Festival collection. 

Here are a few questions (answers in bold) that have come up:

1. In this case, what determines if a customer gets 100% off - is this a loyalty program for specific people or groups of existing/prior customers (in your Shopify customer db) or is this for a sale that goes for a specific duration that would make this offer available to anyone?

These will be specific customers and not available to everyone. Here's exactly how it will work: 

There will be a new exclusive promo product created for a limited time and limited inventory. Buyers of that product will be the ones that get these codes. They'll get two codes each (unique 2 codes, unique to every single person) that will get them two free products and the codes will expire in 1 year. 

They can only use one code at a time, for 100% off the product of their choice (but we need to be able to exclude some products, most products on the site will be included though). 

And that code expires after one use. And it needs to only be applied to one product, so if they buy two pairs of boots at one time, the code gets them 100% off one pair. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 3

Hi Josh, 

Were you able to find a solution here? I am looking for a similar feature for our site too. I'm curious to know if you solved this and if so, what app did you use, or did you write your own?

Thanks for any feedback! 

Best, Crissy

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Crissy!

I came across this post as I'm also struggling with the same thing. I was wondering if you were able to find a solution to this.

Thanks and I hope you're well and healthy!

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hey Josh!

Just wondering if you found a solution to this. I'm also trying to implement the same thing, but cannot figure out how.

Thanks,

Victor

0 Likes