Credit Card Declined

Beth1
Tourist
32 0 3

I just ran two purchase tests.  I bought an item from my store for $12.26. Both credit cards I used were declined at checkout. They are both good cards. Is there something I am missing in the set up?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Alex23
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
523 1 104

Hey, Beth!

My name is Alex, I'm a guru here at Shopify!

Hmm - if it's two good cards, it sounds like it's likely something with your setup for your payment gateway.  What I'd recommend is checking to see whether you're in test mode with your gateway - if, for example, you're using Shopify Payments, then you'll see a yellow striped bar across the top of that box in your admin at Settings > Payments.  If that's the case, it may be that you should use certain 'fake card numbers for tests - if you're in test mode and actually use a valid card number, it'll be rejected.  For Shopify Payments, we have a listing of numbers that you can use to simulate various results, you can check out the whole guide on testing Shopify Payments right over here! If you're not using our gateway, then I'd recommend reaching out to the service that you're using to capture those payments - they'll be able to give you more insight on the issue!

Hope that's helped!  Please feel free to give us a call or start a live chat at any time, we're open 24/7 for your convenience and always happy to assist!

Cheers,

Alex | Shopify Guru

Meg_K
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
68 0 3

0 Likes
Beth1
Tourist
32 0 3

OK I am lame. I havae done nothing to set up payments. I am on 14 day trial but my shop is out there so I need to get payments. Wasn't clear on this. Can I use PayPal and Shopify Payments?

Where do I start with setting up a gateway for accepting credit cards and PayPal?

Getting there but still not :)

Thanks.

0 Likes
Beth1
Tourist
32 0 3

No I dont believe I am in test mode. When I go to Payments, Shop tells me that I am set up for Shopify Payments and PayPal. Along the left hand side, there is a link that says "Enable payment providers." Is that the next step?

0 Likes
Meg_K
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
68 0 3

No problem, Beth! It can certainly feel like a whole lot to look into at first! :) 

You would do so by going to your settings, and then payments. There, you could setup Shopify Payments assuming you are in the US, Canada, Ireland, UK, NZ, or Australia. Otherwise, you would pick a gateway available in your country, the list can be found here: https://www.shopify.ca/payment-gateways

Right below this, you will see you can also set up Paypal. Many merchants have both a credit card gateway, and Paypal account set up. I recommend doing this, too! :) 

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with! Happy to help!

0 Likes
Beth1
Tourist
32 0 3

I think I am set up for payments. I am set up for Shopify Payments and  PayPal and it does not appear that I am in test mode. Is there anything else I need to do in Shopify Payments? When I check out, PayPal option shows up so it looks like PayPal is working.

0 Likes
Beth1
Tourist
32 0 3

Hi Meg, thanks much for your help. I am set up for Shopify Payments and PayPal....still getting my credit card declined. There is no yellow stripe in payments so doesnt look like I am in test mode. I may be missing something else?

0 Likes
Meg_K
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
68 0 3

Hey Beth! Your Shopify Payments in Settings>Payments does not indicate you need to complete your account setup?

Also, have you picked a plan? Although your trial may not be over, picking a plan is necessary to enable checkout. You would not be billed before the end of your trial! :)

If none of this applies, I may recommend calling, chatting, or emailing into support@shopify.com from your account owner email, so that we can take a look into your settings and configuration? We will get to the bottom of this! :)

0 Likes
Beth1
Tourist
32 0 3

Yes I picked a plan and paid for it. I just emailed the support email in hopes they can help. Always helps to have a second set of eyes. I may be missing something in set up. I just can't see what it is.

Thanks for your help Meg....you have been very responsive!

Beth

0 Likes